VW Passat Remote

Astro

I recently bought a 02 Passat but the guy who sold it to me never gave me a spare key, just saying that he never got one..

I believe it is his responsibility to buy one from VW but we've had so much hassle with the car failing the NCT for other reasons that I just know he'll just give us more grief if I insist that he buy one from VW...

For some reason, the remote that I have opens all doors but when I try to lock all doors it will only lock the front two ?

However, I can still use the button to lock all doors from the inside of the car ? I initially thought this might be something to do with the childlocks but I tested and this is not the case...

Anyone any ideas ?

The holder of the other key could simply click your locks open start it up, and drive away.

Never, ever accept a car without all the keys.

That is scary... i never would have thought of that.... but if that's the way of thinking there would have been nothing to stop that person having a 3rd key and doing the same............ you can't always be a doubter about everyone!!

Thanks, I actually bought it off a garage with a 6 month warranty and full service history ?!

Thanks, I actually bought it off a garage with a 6 month warranty and full service history ?!
i traded my 02 passat in a while ago, and i only had one key to it so only the garage one key !!
wonder if he car is my old one!!

Its a false economy to buy a car with no NCT, only one key and numerous faults, and to not get it checked over by a good mechanic or the AA before buying it.

Why is it the sellers responsibility to get a key from VW. You bought it as seen unless you made a specific agreement that the buyer was to get a 2nd key. I get the impression you didn't make any such agreement. If you lose the one key you have, you've a bigger problem.

If there are numerous problems, that you weren't aware of and are covered by the warranty (not everything is) you should leave it back for the garage to fix them. Don't take it back until they are all fixed. If they are unable or unwilling to fix the issues then I'd want to return the car to them.

Thanks for your advise.

Gar, it was on the outskirts of Dublin. Heretohelp, what colour was your car and did it have a dublin reg ? Would put my mind at ease if it was !

Aircobra, I bought the car with a guarantee that they would stand by the NCT which they have done so far.

hi the car was blue and it did have a D reg, 02 D 43***

Anyone any idea how to sort out the remote issue ? It still only locks the front doors.

Thanks !

Thanks Heretohelp, mine's a different car :-( I'll just have to hope for the best I suppose !

Anyone any idea how to sort out the remote issue ? It still only locks the front doors.

Thanks !

So to be clear when you lock with the remote it locks the two front doors and not the rears,What happens when you lock it with the key?
When all doors are locked and you unlock it with the remote do all doors open?

Thanks D1983. Yes, it locks the two front doors but not the rears. However, if I press the lock button from inside the car, it locks all doors no problem (At the moment I use this button before I get out of the car and then I use the remote and it locks the driver door).

If I use the key the same thing happens, ie it will unlock all doors but will only lock the front two.

Is it a vw remote or seperate fob?
Best guess there is a problem between the central locking circuit somewhere between the front and rear doors,you would need to check the wires from the motors back etc.
As it locks from the central button inside the locks are obviously working its somewhere in the communication,not much help i know.

Also some cars can be programmed to open/unlock only a particular door(s) but why someone would want to not lock their rear doors...i wouldn't know.