VW Golf - price 8k

decembersal

Anyone have a more informed view than me on the asking price of the following car - 2005, 1.4L, 5 door, VW Golf, petrol, 45,000km = 8k that a friend is selling. I checked on autotrader and it's about average. Are there better deals to be had in garage forecourts?

Last edited:
very expensive for a a car of that age. I would not be prepare to pay 5k for it.

I saw a nice 92 Clio with 65k on it go for 700 euro last week.

Yeah it is a very good Irish price for that car

Two years ago that would have been a fair price for a Golf that age.

Nowadays you need to check the forecourts and the ads to see the damage.

Several online car forums and websites give current information on a wide range of cars.

Surprisingly enough , 8k seems a good price for that car ..............If you check Northern cars of similar spec , they are around 7k stg before you pay extra vrt , and on carzone.ie , they are around 9000/9500

My previous car was a Golf , similar to your description, and I would recommend all round .

I cannot see you having much luck on a better price in garage forecourts , but anyway best of luck .

It should be a buyers market out there right now , so shop around , however since you know the history of this car , it looks great value .

You wouldnever have bought a golf for that price two years ago. There are some great deals around at the moment but you will find it very difficult to get a golf that age for 8k. The car manket is in ruin at the moment but it doesnt mean that you will get a car for next to nothinh.

Go for it and enjoy it!

Don't do it! I had a '98 1.4 Golf for a few years and slugs on valium move faster! I've now got a 1.9tdi (albeit for sale) and the difference is like night and day. If you want a petrol then at least go for the 1.6

I also like the fact that you're buying it from a friend.. A lot less worries if ya ask me..

Don't do it! I had a '98 1.4 Golf for a few years and slugs on valium move faster! I've now got a 1.9tdi (albeit for sale) and the difference is like night and day. If you want a petrol then at least go for the 1.6

We went away to the north of France in a 2000 reg 1.4 Golf Comfortline.

Quartered Britanny. Steady 110-130 kph [where allowed] - no problem.

Not a boy racer's car, but a good tourer and perfect in either the winding roads or small towns of northern France.

Still holding its value well.

[/QUOTE]Not a boy racer's car, but a good tourer and perfect in either the winding roads or small towns of northern France[/QUOTE]

I prefer cars which overtake swiftly. The 1.4 Golf is NOT one of these. It scares the bejasus out of you every time you even have a look-see. It's bigger brothers are much, much better. It's a tremendous car but it has to have the right engine!

If you're nearly getting creamed having a look-see and/or you use a lot of acceleration to overtake it sounds like you might be too close to the car ahead.

Moving out in good time from keeping some distance back from the car in front allows both

• the guy who might want to overtake you [on duallers or motorways] or
  • the oncoming car [on divided single carriageways]
to see you more easily and this helps avoid accidents.

Sudden overtaking manouvres do nobody any favours.

Planning your overtaking relative to the car spacing ahead of you allows you to maintain much higher average speeds with far less fuel used.

...and where is this utopian society you speak of ?

Simple fact of the matter is that being close behind the car to be overtaken, and then accelerating hard to overtake and getting back in your own lane pronto, is the safest method of overtaking, provided it's done at the right time, using mirrors & indicators (and a flash of headlights does no harm while in the overtaking lane either, to alert dozy drivers of your presence, similar to what bikes use).

The least possible 'time exposed' is what you want... I agree with previous posters that a 1.4 Golf MkV is not the car for that job. Overtaking needs planning...preferably with a calendar, and involves whipping the poor engine to places it should never go.