VW Golf Petrol 1.6

Sagairt

Thinking of buying a new VW Golf Petrol 1.6, any experience out there of this model - good or bad?

Thanks

The above is correct. Wait. 1.4 turbo will be better in every way.

Sounds good!
Do you have any idea when this is coming out, sometime in 2008 i presume?

It's available from week 42, so if you order now you'll have it for Jan.

new 1.4 is 122hp - sounds like a good enging - they are putting in the Passat too

Hmmm wouldn't mind a spin in that Whats the consumption going to be like? What are the service intervals/costs going to be?Petrol turbo engines tend to be a bit on the expensive side maintainance wise.

The consumption is meant to be as efficient as the current 1.4, its an amazing piece of engineering, its almost as fast as the GTI.

Bad news is I believe they will be a good bit more expensive than the current golf, bout €32k or something, but don't quote me on that!

The turbocharger is one of the most expensive components to go onto the engine.

There have been some rumours that VW might be withdrawing the 1.6 engine and replacing it with their new 1.4 turbocharged-supercharged engine. Its more fuel efficient and with the current road tax system it will be cheaper to put on the road.

Unless they make the significant changes to VRT which have been rumoured, the Golf 1.4 GT is a lot more expensive than a 1.6. Not least in insurance.

Hotbot & Airobra - you a talking about the 170hp supercharged engine in the golf GT - this is a completely new enging - it is a 1.4 with a small turbo producing 122hp. I'm not sure about the golf but the new passat is more efficient, the same price and 7hp more powerful than the outgoing 1.6. I'm sure the figures are similar on the golf.

Oops. My bad. 7bhp isn't going make much difference. Is the torque any better or something?

Yeah there is a 1.4 tsi also which is replacing the fsi - has about 140bhp