VW Golf GT Diesel

MandaC

I know there are threads on the 1.4 GT Golf model, but am interested to see if anybody knows anything about this particular model. OH has opted for to get this as a Company car.

He was looking for a GTi Diesel (was there ever such a thing) but apparently this is now that model?

2.0TDI Dpf GT (170 ps)

Anyone drive one of these, or any comments good bad or indifferent?

Mrs Slim had a 1.9tdi Sport (105bhp) and it was a great motor. Sold really well too. Was replacing it with a 1.9tdi GT Sport. That will come down a couple of grand in July.

Slim

Heard that the torque steer can be a bit annoying taking off in first and if it's wet pulling out of a busy junction the ASR kicks in and slows you down... not great if a lorry is coming on behind you. Otherwise a powerful car with good economy, i'd say it's due a facelift soon, might get the LED brake lights.I'd least get a test drive in the 140 BHP on a rainy day to get an idea of performance.

The 170 diesel seems outrageously expensive, being pitched at almost the same price as the 200bhp petrol GTi. It is of course more economical than a GTi though. As mentioned, it would be well worth holding off until after July for a diesel model.
Regarding the ASR coming on, the 90bhp diesel will also do that extremely easily, never mind the 170. It just depends on how you drive it

the diesel will drive totaly different drive to the gti.

Prefer the low end torque of any diesel.

The torque gves that big push in the back on a decent diesel car.

Car was collected yesterday. Very nice. Its like a rocket. Pointless really for our roads, but thats what he wanted.

My brother has one, they are an absolute cracker with superlative performance. Overtaking is effortless and you will do a lot less gear changing than with an equivalent petrol.

The mid ranges 50 to 70 , 70 to 90 etc are faster than the 2l petrol GTI i.e. in real world driving it can't be beat.