VW Golf 1.6 vs 1.4

Sagairt

VW Golf 1.6 vs 1.4
Going to buy one or other of these in the new year.
Can anyone tell me if there is significant difference in the 1.6 for poke/power etc
Have driven the 1.4 and have found it sluggish for its size.

I believe the 1.6 provides a noticeable difference in acceleration.

Think 1.4 is only 75bhp (Micra is better!) but 1.6 might be 115? Not completely sure though

thanks for the reminder.

looked at the 1.4 turbo already. too expensive (4k more than 1.4) and im not quite looking for the strong acceleartion power of the turbo either
just a decision between 1.4 or 1.6 now and just need advice from someone who has driven both.

I'd go for the 1.6 as the 1.4 engine in a car as heavey as the golf means there is no real performance at all. To overtake safely etc you need a moderate amount of acceleration without having to chang gears etc an the 1.4 Golf just doesn't have it. BHp comparisions in cars with these engines can not really be used IMHO.

1.6 all the way

1.6 always.

p.s. Focus Zetec is a better car, and better value too.

1.6 might be a lot harder to shift when you want to sell it on though. Its something worth keeping in mind. Plus with the new taxation rates affecting 1.6 upwards, that could affect it too.

Would rec 1.6 as well m8. Drove both in relation to the focus Zetec and 1.4 wasa bit sluggish all right

1.6 might be a lot harder to shift when you want to sell it on though. Its something worth keeping in mind. Plus with the new taxation rates affecting 1.6 upwards, that could affect it too.
The '1.6' is < 1600cc though.

I read this all the time about the 1.4golf, as recently as yesterday in the IT - I've a 3 door sportline and I think it goes pretty quickly actually, when driven on your own.

I actually think at main road/motorway speeds it accelerates pretty quickly making overtaking a breeze.

I will qualify that by saying I do most of my driving with max 1 passenger in the car - I suspect if you will be regularly driving a family/full boot etc you may well need the 1.6l.

Anyway, top choice on the Golf, you won't be dissapointed, especially with resale values :)

I read this all the time about the 1.4golf, as recently as yesterday in the IT - I've a 3 door sportline and I think it goes pretty quickly actually, when driven on your own.

I actually think at main road/motorway speeds it accelerates pretty quickly making overtaking a breeze.

I will qualify that by saying I do most of my driving with max 1 passenger in the car - I suspect if you will be regularly driving a family/full boot etc you may well need the 1.6l.

Anyway, top choice on the Golf, you won't be dissapointed, especially with resale values :)

1.4 is far too slow with very poor torque, you will probably get better mpg from the 1.6 as well

If you can hold out try the new (in Ireland) turbocharged 1.4 varients

1.4 Golf (or Focus) are pretty slow. Genuinely. The slightly bigger engine really helps in overtaking particularly. Loading makes little odds.

Golfs (and all VW's) are overpriced, and are not particularly reliable either. Service costs are horrific too.

Wife drives a 1.4 Golf and to be honest it wouldn't pull you out of bed.

Maybe you're a heavy sleeper!! I wouldn't touch the 1.4 either unless you were needing the small engine to get teenagers as named drivers otherwise I'd go with the 1.6

I drive a 2005 1.6 golf (102 bhp - not FSI) - very happy with it - good acceleration and great economy (700-750km per tank). Good solid car. My wife drives a 1.6 focus zetec. For a comparison - the golf has more go (especially acceleration between 90-100km acceleration) - and I think better economy. Ford spec is probably slightly better but VW are catching up. Golf is much better build quality and will hold value better. Never driven a 1.4 golf but suspect that would be sluggish, and you would need to be dropping gears to overtake - where as in 1.6 5th is lively.

I don't think there is any argument for the 1.4. The wife has one and to be honest its not a bad car but the 1.6 would be so much better. There is absolutley no power for overtaking and fuel economy is not great. 1.6 everytime!

I hope my post didn't suggest I didn't like the Golf 1.4.

It is a great car, well built and plenty of extras. Totally reliable too.

But I just think its too heavy for a 1.4 engine and definitely would not recommend this engine size. The car, definitely.

Once you get up to speed its a very comfortable cruiser, but as many have said a poor overtaker.

Back