VW Golf 00 Service

• Thread starter Holiday2006
  • Start date
H

Holiday2006

I am looking to get above service in West Dublin/ Naas area. VW Garage quoted 350-400 euro and possible need for timing belt to bring it up to 900 euro. Is this typical? Could i go elsewhere?

Also i am looking to get new car in new year- should i do anything?

Check manual for timing belt change. If you are still e.g 6/7000 miles before the due change, maybe you can still sell the car. If it's much closer, I don't think anyone would buy the car - at least not without deducting this cost.

In general, €350+ sounds typical to me for a VW garage.

Timing belt should only be an issue at around 40-45k for a petrol and 55-60k for a diesel. I presume thats the sort of mileage you are at?

As for selling it, I am in the same boat with one of my cars, it needs a belt soon, but don't know whether to sell or fork out.

In regard to price, any timing belt for a german car, from an authorised dealer that comes in around the 500-600 is probably the best price you will get

had a 99 audi a4 1.6 up till recently, same as your golf not only the timing belt get changed "every" 60k the water pump and pulleys should be changed thats why you have been quoted such a large sum. you could get away with replacing just the belt but if pump or pulleys fail the engine is goosed. no way would i use main dealer for a car with 120k on the clock. got all the above done with a good local mechanic cost me €250

timing belts should be done every 60k miles at the most.
So assuming that you had the belt done back then, it would be due another belt around now. As mentioned, the belt really isnt the only part here, the VW timing belt kits would have the tensioners and pulleys replaced all at the same time.

I recently had my 99 Golf serviced and new timing belt done at 105,000 for €500. It was not at a VW dealers though but I've been going to this mechanic for 6-7 years and have never had a problem.

He's based in Newbridge if you want me to pm you the details.

Thanks everyone for messages. Perhaps i should only get regular service now- is there anyone that would be recommended in Lucan, West Dublin, Naas or Newbridge?