VW Bora 1.4 '01 not starting

ivorystraws

Hi,

I tried starting my VW Bora 1.4 '01 on Sunday evening but it didn't even turn over! I tried jump starting it off another car but it didn't make any noise. I changed the battery but it made no difference. The dashboard lights come on but not a peep out of it. It does start however with a pushstart.

I know feck all about cars and it's currently with the mechanic in the garage but I was just wondering what it could potentially be and how much it could cost? Could it be the starter motor? Loose power cable(s) (as the boot doesn't close and lock properly)? Something to do with fuses?

Any thoughts?

If "the boot doesn't close and lock properly", the first thing I'd check is the light in the boot staying on and draining the battery.

If it push starts, it could be the battery or the starter motor.

A battery is €60 / 70, a refurbed starter-motor is about €140 both prices plus VAT and labour charges to fit.

If its the original battery, its about past its "sell by date" and even if it appears to charge, it may not be producing enough power to turn the car over.

Thanks Matthewpac for the advice and suggestions. Although I have tried changing the battery to a different battery but it made no difference so it may not be the battery. The battery is about 2 years old bought new then so maybe it does need changing (not sure how often batteries need changing). Wouldn't be anything to do with spark plugs would it?