VRT Valuation

darraghdog

VRT Valuation - Opel Zafira

We have recently purchased an imported Opel Zafira. The auctioneer got the VRT and we paid for it (25% of the FMV). Customs claimed the car was an Eegance model, and added 2K Euro on to the valuation for this. Meaning we had to pay and extra 500 Euro VRT.

There is nothing we have seen in/on the car that specifically says it's an elegance model. However the car does have leather seats, and automatic transmission. Do you think if we brought this back to the VRT folks, we would have a chance of claiming it's not an elegance and claim back the extra money paid ?

You can appeal their valuation. What did it say on the original papers?

Due to the higher tax on new cars here the car manufacturers send the basic models here so as to keep the price down a bit.
So a standard car in the UK will have a higher spec than a standard car here e.g. air cond etc and may be the equivilant of a "elegence"or luxury car here.

patspost said:
Due to the higher tax on new cars here the car manufacturers send the basic models here so as to keep the price down a bit.
So a standard car in the UK will have a higher spec than a standard car here e.g. air cond etc and may be the equivilant of a "elegence"or luxury car here.

Yup it's a crazy system. I just brought in a car that the VRO in Santry couldn't give me a VRT figure for because the spec level didn't exist here. They called me after a few days after 'investigating' it but thankfully ended up just classifying it as the highest level available here.

Back