VRT repayment on Hybrid Cars: what qualifies?

muffinsda

I was on to VRO to inquire about the 50% VRT rebate on Hybrid cars but the person I was talking to was totally clueless and unhelpful. Just wondering if any of you knows anything about it. Basically my question is: if I import a second hand hybrid car into ireland now (say a 2002 car), will it be qualified for a 50% VRT rebate?
Also is there a specific list of cars that qualify? The legislation is quite vague about this, and again VRO was extremely unhelpful.

You should qualify for the 50% rebate on the car alright. Not sure about a list. What other hybrids are out there? The Prius I know qualifies

This is from Toyota Ireland website

Q. What tax or other incentives are available upon purchasing a Prius?
A. Retail is EURO 30,055 ex works and includes the 50% VRT reduction.

To be honest I dont think the hybrids are worth the money. A good performing diesel engine can return better mpg

Thanks for the info.
There's also Hybrid Honda Civics and Honda Accords.
Yes I agree that in running cost they probably are not much better than Diesel. But they are cheaper to register, and they are alot better for the environment than Diesel. (Now I know the second point may not be a great selling point for 99% of people in Ireland :) )

The Flexifuel vehicles by Ford (C MAX and Focus) as well as the Saab 95 Biopower, and the Volvo S40 Flexifuel also qualify for the VRT rebate. Personnally I am going to go for this option as the engines can run on E85 or Petrol, but you get the rebate.
Maxol are the only ones selling the E85, but they have it in 14 places already, so I think when it is more widespread, the resale values of these cars will hold up reasonably well........

I've been meanting to ask: is there any disadvantage to the Ford Flexifuel cars at all? Given the VRT rebate means they're cheaper than the equivalent petrol only car, and you can I believe run the Flexifuel version on petrol anyway, why on earth would anyone get the regular version?

just thinking out loud, so bear with me.......

if the new car has a 50% rebate, grand.

But, VRT on a used car is calculated based on the OMSP of a similar one, here. That OMSP already reflects the reduced VRT, so no, you wouldn't get any rebate on the VRT on a used one. To support this look at the following example, which I looked up VRT on:

Example:
Used 05 Prius, 10k miles, here: Eur 25000
Import of UK car = Car at 21600 (app 14k Stg) + VRT of 2947 = Eur 24573

which, amazingly, is uncannily 'equal' : isn't that a shock ?:rolleyes: Subtract ferry and time off work (maybe), and forgetting you could probably get a discount here anyway and.............there's no saving.

Amazing, really. Not. !

Back