vrt rebate

springer

Hi, iam moving to Aus shortly and am taking a vehicle with me, as this will be permanently exported from the state can i claim back the vrt i paid when i bought the vehicle ??

Springer

No I don't believe so, but have a look on the revenue website to confirm.

You may be able to avail of the Australian equivalent of the Irish VRT/imprt duty exemption for transfer of residence, if there is such a thing, if you meet the criteria.

You may be better off selling it before you go, to be honest, I think it's expensive and time-consuming to ship a car out there. A work colleague in the UK has an Audi S6 and he said to me that it's marginal on cost to export it to Oz, the main benefit to him is that he's had it since new so he knows the history.

SSE

Not a chance of getting a rebate. The whole thing is a scam, barely legal, perpetrated by the government. Why should they be fair on export when they are not on import?

If you export it to Australia and then re-import it then you will not have to pay VRT a second time.

'barely legal'

It either is or it is not. You may not like it but that does not make it a 'scam'. Contrary to what some people like to try and believe its no different than any other tax. It breaks no Irish or EU laws. This has been already put through the ringer.

You know, it's funny that someone can say something like what you have in previous post about a government, but it would probably be breaking the rules if it was about a private company...

Are you Brian Cowen in disguise Troy ?

Anti Sinlge market tax, not very EU.

The Irish motorist is constantly being hit again and again.

VRT on an imported car is calculated as a % of OMSP price which includes VRT already therefore vrt on vrt

SCAM SCAM SCAM.

No. just a realist

Again it either is or is not. The rest is just noise.

You cant be 'barely' pregnant..

Anti Sinlge market tax, not very EU.

The Irish motorist is constantly being hit again and again.

Ireland aren't the only EU country with such a tax in place. There have been a number of legal challenges to this, but the EU has backed the governments in all cases.

Just because the government say it is law does not mean it's not a scam. Same as the government can go back as far as they like with income tax, but we can only claim back 4 years.

Just because the government say it is law does not mean it's not a scam. Same as the government can go back as far as they like with income tax, but we can only claim back 4 years.

If you want to redefine the word 'Scam' fair enough. You may think it unfair but thats hardly a scam.

If you want to redefine the word 'Scam' fair enough. You may think it unfair but thats hardly a scam.
Troy, one of my greatest pleasures in life is complaining about VRT. And I won't take your disagreements seriously regardless of how rational or sensible they are!!!

And barely legal is a perfectly acceptable term, especially in the publishing industry.