VRT question

D

Dubby

Hi, I've been researching this for a while now, and I'm wondering is this a legal way of handling a VRT issue.

A contact I have (and trust) in the UK purchases the car I want using the money I give them. It's taxed and insured in the UK. I drive it over here for that period, with my own existing insurance. If I get stopped I just say it's my friend's car, I have it over for the weekend etc etc.

My contact then returns to Ireland 6 months later and pays Irish tax, sans VRT because they have proof of residence, employment etc. The car is then signed over to me.

Is this a runner?

Legally, no !

And you shouldn't be discussing something like this (which you should already realise is dodgy) on this site.

Hi, I've been researching this for a while now..... The car is then signed over to me.

I think you need to research a bit more!

Besides the obvious illegality of your proposal the "importer" of a car for personal use cannot dispose of the car for 12 months after the date of importation - so your buddy can't sign it over to you until he has held it, registered in his name, in Ireland, for over 12 months.