VRT on 2nd hand imports post-July

ang1170

I've gone through the various threads on this issue, and have been unable to find a definitive answer to the following questions:

1. Is it correct to say that a 2nd hand car (e.g. one first registered in 2004, say) if it is imported after July this year it will be subject to the new, emissions based, VRT and car tax rates?

2. If so, what CO2 figure is used?

3. If the car doesn't have an "official" CO2 (say it was pre-2001, which I think is the date this was brought in for the UK), what value is used? for example, a 1985 car, which won't have any kind of official rating.

Any help would be apreciated on this: I can't find the information anywhere.

yes, its all cars registered,

the same co2 as a new car.

oyull have to talk to the VRT office

does anyone know if there will be much difference in the price of VRT between importing a 2003/2004 Toyota corolla 1.4 petrol now or waiting until after July?

youll have to work it out, but i cant see a 1.4 petrol being better, however youd be better off getting a disel post july,

look up co2 rate for your car

Will an imported car ( of say 2 years old) post-july get 2008 reg plates?

Thanks for the responses, but they don't really answer my main question.

How will the VRT be calculated on a car built in 1995 for example, and imported from the UK in August of this year? Such a car would not have an "official" CO2 figure, as such things weren't even thought of then.

If no CO2 documentation is available then the maximum VRT rate is applied and the maximum road tax payable after than (€2000pa).

So, VERY expensive and not worth it unless you're buying a classic Ferrari.

If no CO2 documentation is available then the maximum VRT rate is applied and the maximum road tax payable after than (€2000pa).
I'm not doubting this, but I would like to know where this came from? I haven't seen any information to date which states this (also, I'd like to know what defines "CO2 documentation" in this case).

I assumed that we'd have had far better clarification on a lot of this stuff by now, but the info seems very slow in coming forward.

I read it in one of the motoring sections of some newspaper, they were responses to questions put to Revenue officials. If no C02 data were available for a car, either in it registration documents as in the UK, or directly from the manufacturer, then the highest rate of VRT was to be charged. This was regardless of the age of the car, so if you buy a 2005 BMW from Singapore and don't have a reg doc that states its CO2 output or BMW won't supply details to you then you pay the highest rate. It said you could appeal but also said Revenue had no specifics on what documentation they would accept as "official". They seem to assume that most imports are from the UK and didn't expand beyond the V5C doc.

thanks daveD, thats what I thought, but the previous quote seemed to give the impression that the CO2 was based off a new car irrespective of what the actual CO2 is for the specific model and year so wanted to double check.

Is the CO2 rating on car documents when you purchase in the UK?

So, VERY expensive and not worth it unless you're buying a classic Ferrari.

If that's the case, it's an absolute outrage. Regular VRT is bad enough.

Having to pay the maximum in those circumstances is beyond belief. On the other hand, yet another example of Revenue acting in a cosy cartel with the motor trade here: they'll love that one. It'll kill stone dead any importing of any car without the required CO2 documentation (i.e. probably anything older than 2001 from the UK).

By the way, is there where did you get this information? is it available from any official source, or is it just what has been reported?

If it is true, it's actually quite bizarre. A single model (the Porsche 911 springs to mind) goes from having no VRT (classic) to the max (not old enough for classic, but too old for CO2 cert) to something less than the max. How does that make any sense?

As I said, it's beyond belief.....

911 used pre say 2001 will be €2000 p.a. to tax. No big deal. Current ones are c.€1500 p.a.

911 used pre say 2001 will be €2000 p.a. to tax. No big deal. Current ones are c.€1500 p.a.

The specific example isn't the point (the only reason I chose it was because it's such a long lasting model, although I'm sure there's absolutely nothing in common between the oldest and newest models).

The point is the nosensical variation in tax over time.

Fancy paying €2000 in tax for a 15 year old Mini, for example? how does that make any sense?