VRT increment on Jan 1st

J

JerryA

I am considering importing a 2 year old car from UK and have a query on the magic formula used for VRT calculations.

Do values and thus VRT payable change on January 1st in a bigger increment than every other month, or is it the same every month.

Naturally if I might save 5% (€ 1K) on Jan 1 I might hold off.
Many thanks…

nope - it doesnt change
There is a little hope that this area might be looked at in the coming budget as the gov are coming under a lot of pressure over this barrier to free trade - althought there is the feeling that if lifted it will be replaced by a "green tax"

i asked that very same question to my local vro last week. the girl said that their system is majorly updated 4 times a year where they sit down with simi and reassess the current market . she told me that they arent notified when this process happens and only become aware of the change through different prices appearing on their systems. it therefore appears that there is no guarantee of a change on jan 1 and based on how things usually operate in this country , i would guess that it probably wont happen on jan 1 as its likely that lots of people try to hold off until this magic date before paying their vrt.
she also said that values can actually go up in certain cases and specifically mentioned bmw's as having gotten dearer in the past

ps. no way will it be dropped in the budget

no, just common sense and an appreciation of the amount of money the government collects from this.

Bought my VW GOLF in Feb and only got around to payin VRT in MAY. The price dropped a whopping €5 give or take a few cent. So i'm afraid its not worth waiting for the change

The last VRT % drop came in on the 1st September. Saved €267 by unintentially holding off paying the VRT over the course of a weekend!

Bought my VW GOLF in Feb and only got around to payin VRT in MAY. The price dropped a whopping €5 give or take a few cent. So i'm afraid its not worth waiting for the change
How can you insure the car in the interim? Does the insurer not require Irish plates?

A guy I worked with had his car insured with an irish company on english plates for years.

If you don't get the plate changed over immediately, what do you do about road tax? Or do you just wing it?

its nothing to do with winging it.
a foreign car does need and could not possibly have irish road tax.

Back