VRT Haggling

Vanilla

Apparently there is a small amount of discretion which can be applied by the tax official when deciding on the VRT applicable. Does anyone have any experience of the process and what points can be made in order to reduce VRT?

They have 3 prices the can charge for any given car - these are based on the condition of the vehicle. Poor, average and excellent. So you'd obviously be looking to get charged the poor rate.

Interesting. And would you have any insight into how to persuade the tax official that your car is in 'poor' condition? Or is it a purely academic exercise- if your car has certain extras, mileage it ticks certain boxes and therefore goes up a level, if it does not it goes down a level?

It's hardly purely cosmetic is it? 'Cause if it is, all I have to do is let the children into it for ( in my experience) one longish journey and bang goes the nice clean valeted look!

"The only allowances Revenue allow their officials to give are 5% to 10% if the car is deemed to be less than average condition."

I got that from a thread on www.octane.ie. A search on there or indeed the motoring fora of boards would most likely give more ammunition.

Also it is a good idea to have a print out from the ros vrt calculator of a quote you got for the car you have just in case they come up with a higher figure on the day.

Back