VRT for Scottish National

M

mmonahan

Hi

My partner is from Scotland but has been living here in Ireland for the past 2 years. She plans on buying a car in the UK and bringing it back to Ireland.

How long can she have the car here in Ireland before she would have to pay VRT and is her nationality a factor in paying the VRT.

Appreciate your help

i think that your partner can bring a car into the country provided that the car has been registered to her for a period of 6 months at an address outside the ROI, without paying VRT. However as she is going to buy the car and import it she will have to pay the VRT.

i think that your partner can bring a car into the country provided that the car has been registered to her for a period of 6 months at an address outside the ROI, without paying VRT...
Untrue - proof that she has been living at the UK address on the V5C (UK vehicle registration document) for at least the six month period will be required (bank statements, utility bills, pay-slips, etc will be required by Revenue) as will proof of a permanent move to Ireland after the purchase date of the car.

That's what I mean, the car must be registered at the address and to do that the person would have to be the owner of the house/ address. As the rest of my post clearly states, as she is buying the car with the sole purpose to import it, she will be liable for the VRT.

Sorry about that. Wouldn't want anyone to get the wrong idea. Definately liable for VRT.

Thanks for all the help

If she was to make a permanent move back to the UK within 6 months after purchasing the car is she still liale for VRT.