VRT Charge

Z

zzapspm

Hi
I am returning to live in Ireland later this year, after a period of 40 years. We wish to bring our 2 cars with us. Is my understanding correct that if we have owned the cars for 6 months prior to import, then there isnt any tax to pay.

Regards

Pat

correct, but make sure you have all your paperwork to vouch for this and prove you have lived with the cars out of this state for that period (ie. bank statements, letters of employment, rent books, etc).
You will have to do some sort of interview when you return.

What are you bringing back? Hopefully something wothwhile to get your benefit of avoiding this tax

Merc CLK 3.2 convertible and Ford Fiesta

Just check as well how long you have to own the cars here before you sell them here (you might decide to trade in or something) I think you have to own them here for 12 months

Did this last year. You'll need vehicle reg cert for the two cars showing you've owned them for more than 6 months. You'll also need proof that you were living abroad for that time. Things like work contract, bank statement, utillity bill (all together) are fine for that.

They also ask you to prove that you're now going to be living in Ireland. So they're looking for a bank statement or whatever with your new Irish address. Obviously this could be trickier for you. If you have a job offer here that will also help. Keep some proof of the exact date the vehicles entered the state.

Once you get your Irish vehicle reg cert, there will be a statement in it saying you can't sell it in the next 12 months or you'll have to pay the VRT.

If you are the registered owner of a foreign registered vehicle and you wish to re-register it in Ireland, then you will need to contact the Revenue Commissioners Office. They will provide you with all the relevant informtion.
They are at tel 1890 333425 or www.revenue.ie.

Rgds
Billo

Also You will get an RF100 form from the Revenue Commissioners. This will enable you to tax the car for the first time at the local Motor Taxation Office.
Following the first time taxing of a vehicle, a Registration Certificate will be issued to you by the Vehicle Registration Unit, Department of the Environment ,Heritage and Local Government,Shannon Town Centre,Co Clare.

Rgds
Billo