VRT Changes - impact on the envrionment

Westbound

A few of the lads in workplace posed a question. If the new VRT changes encourage more people to buy diesel (for example reports in recent IT motoring supplements state that there may be as little as €150 in the difference between a Ford Focus 1.6 and 1.8 TDI), then it could result in more diesels on the road as they are more fuel efficient, not withstanding the current price difference in petrol and diesel at the pumps.

What their query was, even though they are lower for CO2, are they not 'dirtier' cars in general, especially in an urban setting. Therefore could the result be a lower quality of air in urban areas?

Also have you tried getting diesel of your hands or clothes!!!

The real culprit for pollution are buses and lorries. In the case of Dublin unfortunately, it has as measured at College Green and O'Connell St pollution levels much higher than the EU average mainly created by Dublin buses dirty diesel engines and exceptionally amateur trafffic engineering by Dublin City council.

The worst diesel polluters are buses. One diesel engined bus spews particulate pollution equivalent to 128 petrol cars, and NOX pollution equivalent to 39 cars. A bus moving out from a stop has to use its engine in the most inefficient manner and as well, due to bad planning, the likes of Bus congested O'Connell St results in major pollution levels. What is worse is that not one bus carries anything like 100 car-driving passengers, and outside of busy periods most operate way below capacity. A highly carcinogenic chemical (3-nitrobenzanthrone) is spewed out by diesel bus exhausts when the engine is under load, i.e. when pulling away from any bus stop. Full power is applied to the engine to pull off at a stop or in stop go traffic i.e. the most polluting way to use an engine

Public transport such as the bus is not sustainable compared to private cars except on the most heavily used routes, consuming on average 60% more energy per person transported (Automotive Advisers and Associates, Hilden, Germany). Dublin buses make the largest contribution to traffic emissions of PM10 [particulates] and NOx [oxides of nitrogen].

The VRT changes that min of the Environment John Gormley made, as you point out is designed to lead to more diesel cars. His stated agenda is to "save the planet" from Co2's, due to supposedly man made Global Warming but he obviously does not care about pollution because diesel particulates will increase heart disease, cancer and chronic lung Asthma etc

Of course future diesel engined cars are being developed to scrub many of these harmful emissions but because of rapacious levels of VRT & VAT all parts of a car (and unbelievably due to the lip service of the Government's "road safety" interest) including ABS brakes, traction control, seat belts air bags are viciously taxed. The VRT changes will also lead to more second hand imports of older designed engines thus more pollution.

Until China and US and India make a change 2 million driver in Ireland will make F all differencce.

I am happy to drrive a diesel car use cfl lights and turn down my heating recycle what I can.

To save me money; not so naive to think I am more than a mere drop in the ocean.

I know every bit helps but some realism would be nice too.

As for smell of diesel on hands and clothes good grief, be more careful and fill up from empty to full each time. Less times at the pumps less smelly hands.

Its a funny state of affairs when carbon dioxide is considered a greater public threat that carbon monoxide

Excellent points though CFL bulbs are a bad idea due to them containing toxic mercury, many components and a load factor that is half as efficient as a conventional bulb, never mind the transport costs as they weigh 5 to 10 times higher including additional packaging as regular bulbs. But I digress!

China as its people are becoming wealthier and discovering the freedom that personal transport ownership brings have been buying cars at an enormous rate.

This year domestic sales are reaching nearly a million a month!
See here

India is buying cars of 1.75 million a year [broken link removed]

Figures like these make a total nonsense of having a high car tax/fuel tax/carbon tax in Ireland as it only damages Ireland's economy.

If the present Government genuinely wanted to do anything for the environment here they would encourage tax policies in public transport to use fuels lin CNG in domestic transport and pursue policies to help China/India reduce their pollution impacts perhaps at EU level.

The rest is just window dressing