Vouched Expenses: Is this not the system they have in the UK which is so problematic?

ajapale

Vouched Expenses: Is this not the system they have in the UK which is so problematic?

Reciepts for Cleaning Moates, Duck Houses etc.

I think well have to do better than slavishly following the UK in their failed system!

Re: Vouched Expences: Is this not the system they have in the UK which is so problema

I agree fully.

It is the attitude and amount of expenses which are wrong.

Introducing vouched expenses will result in huge amounts of paperwork and civil servants checking and approving the expenses. It is much simpler to give a country TD an overnight allowance or a meals allowance and let them spend more or less as they please. The vast majority of companies do this to reduce the cost of administering expenses.

Brendan

Re: Vouched Expenses: Is this not the system they have in the UK which is so problema

I disagree, receipts for everything and clear rules and if the receipts are printed annually on a website it will prevent any of them lossing the run of themselves. There should also be clear penalties for going outside the rules including loss of office.

My other half would lose his job if he declared anything on his expense report that wasn't true and necessary for carrying out his duties.

Re: Vouched Expenses: Is this not the system they have in the UK which is so problema

A cork TD claimed 39k travelling expenses for 1 year! I would just love it to see a breakdwon of his actual claims to justify that amount.

And travelling in by train and still able to claim a mileage allowance!!

Cmon we have been screwed for years and its likely it will continue.

The UK mob had to declare the expenses were essential ... they lied and lets watch and see how many have to pay back money, resign etc BUT we wont see much of that here.

noah

Err, isn't it the vouching of expenses in the UK which have exposed the abuse?

The unvouched nature of the Irish system allowed abuse to go un-noticed until a series of Freedom Of Information requests started to unravel it. The attitude and ammount was facilitated by the unvouched nature of the system.

Clean up the system and maybe then re-examine the procedures.

I disagree, receipts for everything and clear rules and if the receipts are printed annually on a website it will prevent any of them lossing the run of themselves.

This is exactly the way to go, but via a real time system. Simply setup a website which the TDs (etc) have to enter their expenses (along with scanned / electronic receipts) and the very same system can then display the info in real-time form back to the public. So apart from the initial setup cost and a couple of admin staff there would be very little costs. The great unwashed will be quick to spot a 6k charge from Morris the moat cleaner.