voting trends in the U.S. & racism

Status
Not open for further replies.

viztopia

i read an interesting article in a newspaper yesterday by Jeramy Clarkson.

Basically it was about the U.S. elections and it went something along the lines of .....

.....Some people seem disgusted that in this day and age age there were some white people wouldnt vote for Obama because he is black. In fact because Obama was running for president and it was the first time a black man had in America, record numbers of African Amerians had registered to vote for the first time................

How many Irish people would vote for a black man (or woman) here?

Are you admitting to be racist? I can't think of any other meaning for your post.

No. A few reasons:

1. I don't believe someone who wasn't born in (the Republic of) Ireland should be allowed stand for any public office (in the Republic of Ireland) - this would rule out most black people.
2. I realise that the candidate would get a significant number of votes as a result of guilt & positive discrimination (regardless of his/her abilities) and would have no intention of adding to that. I don't believe in positive discrimination or any form of tokenism in being seen to have non-white political repersentatives.
3. I can't imagine that a black person would/could represent my best interests.
4. In all likelihood a black candidate would have very different political views than my own, given background, education, life experience etc.
5. I also believe (as has been confirmed from the US election) that the candidate would get significant backing from black voters, again regardless of abilities, which I would regard as another form of racism, albeit one that is seen as acceptable by society.

For most of the above reasons I would also never vote Sinn Fein or a couple of the other parties.

Your answer is disappointing as I thought you might have some clever point to make. Instead you are making a number of assumptions that confirm the original meaning I took from your post. We will have to agree to disagree.

Status
Not open for further replies.