Voter Registers - It's up to you!!!

Humpback

Firstly, isn't it everyone's own responsibility to make sure they're on an electoral register? If you're not in, you can't win (or exercise your franchise).

Secondly, we had someone on here earlier today complaining about CitiFinancial sending loan offers to their dead mother, and wondering who to chase up with to complain. Would people be so quick to follow up, complain, and have the register updated if voting cards are delivered to dead relatives?

Finally, I contacted Mayo County Council where I used to live up till 2 years ago. I only recently added myself to the relevant register here in Dublin, and given all the hoo-haa recently, decided to have myself removed from the Mayo register.

Looks like Minister Roche won't see things getting sorted out as quickly as he might like. Their response (received back very quickly) was "

"I acknowledge receipt of your e-mail regarding the removal of your name from the Draft Register of Electors, 2007/2008. I will retain your request until we are updating the Register again in Autumn."

Database updates taking place once per year, how efficient!!!

I went into a Garda station for a form to transfer my vote to my new area and was told that there was no such thing...

John Waters, on Newstalk106 yesterday, said that he tried to retain his vote in Roscommon for years, despite the fact he was living in Dublin.

When he was taken off the register in Roscommon he travelled 'home' to complain and found that his uncle was still on the register, even though he had died 15 years earlier.

I heard this. I also heard a comment in the same discussion about how it was the right of a person to decide whether or not to be added to the voter register.

I know for a fact that my name was added to the register in Mayo by a Labour councillor in the area. I wonder will I show up on the register again after I've requested to be removed from the register this time around.

Does a person have the right to be removed from the register without giving a new address?

Purple said:
I went into a Garda station for a form to transfer my vote to my new area and was told that there was no such thing...
The relevant local authority will provide these forms on request. Many have the forms available on their websites. If you want to be added to the register supplement, you will need to get your form signed by Garda. I think there are other approved signatories also. If you want to be added to the full register for publication next Feb, you don't need to have the form signed by a Garda.
ronan_d_john said:
I know for a fact that my name was added to the register in Mayo by a Labour councillor in the area. I wonder will I show up on the register again after I've requested to be removed from the register this time around.
If this is true, you should request a copy of the form which was submitted and get the councillor prosecuted for fraud.

RainyDay said:
If this is true, you should request a copy of the form which was submitted and get the councillor prosecuted for fraud.

I am afraid that this sort of thing is widespread. AFAIK councillors don't use a form to register people, they just send a list of names and addresses to the franchise officer in the local council. Come election time the policital parties will trawl the register and make sure that people (whom they suspect are their supporters) are registered. I know that every election my dad gets 3 polling cards. 1 for his actual address and 2 for made up addresses registered by local political parties.

Forms available for adding yourself on to the register available in most local libraries.

I've heard anecdotal stories like this, but I'd really to see harder evidence. The 3 polling cards could just as easily be down to slack practices with the franchise office when updating the register. If there is no form involved, you can submit an FOI request to get details of all communications involving your name.

Thanks