Volvo XC90 - What's a second hand one like

MichaelBurke

Well, it's couple of years old (6), with average mileage, should I be wary of anything? Are they a good buy. Really want something that I can fit three child/baby seats into (really didn't think that one through!!!), but not a big lover of the MPV's.

Here's my 2p worth from another thread - http://www.askaboutmoney.com/showthread.php?p=1015871

As with all diesels of this age (assuming no-one is crazy or wealthy enough to want to buy a petrol version) the things to look out for are the service records / service history. These cars have a dual-mass fly-wheel in their diesel incarnations and changing it (and the clutch & clutch release bearing at the same time) is expensive - check when it was done and calculate when it needs doing again.

The timing belt (and the water-pump, belt tensioner(s), belt guides, etc) also need to be done to schedule. I think it's 100km or 5 years, whichever arrives first and failure to change it can result in a very big bill if it breaks.

My one criticism of the car is the parking brake arrangement (left foot to apply brake, right hand to release) and that the brakes generally are not great IMHO, but most cars' brakes seem poor in comparison to what I'm used to.