Volvo S40 Diesel - 1.6 SE model

Daddy

This is supposed to do a combined 67 miles per gallon or use a cobined 4.9 litres per 100kms according to the dealers. Anyone care to comment on this as being accurate. I bought one 2 months ago and the average fuel I'm using per the information on the dash is 6.5 litres per 100kms and I'm an average type driver. Big difference per what Volvo says the car can do and per what I'm doing ?

When you say 'average' what do you mean?
The Volvo claim will most likely be based on a combined cycle (city/country)

Average - means for me that I'm not a hard driver on a car and being an average driver that I would expect to achieve something close to the combined figure Volvo claim the car should be doing i.e cobined cycle of 4.9 lts per 100kms. So, I'm just wondering what other Volvo car drivers of the same type car are achieving as there is a huge difference between a claimed 4.9lts and 6.5lts per 100kms.

It was never going to do 67mpg. That's a constant speed figure (100kph?)

I ran the same engine as yours in a Focus C-Max and when I was really gentle on a country I could average well over 60mpg. Allowing for urban driving, cold start ups, and faster crusing and overtaking I think the averages went down into the mid/high 40's. Still not bad.

Make sure your tyre pressures are right, you do not carry extra weight unneccesarily, that windows are kept shut, roof racks etc. removed, and a/c used only when needed. Smoother driving will help too. Shift up at 2500rpm. Avoid hard braking by anticipating the road ahead.

Boring but it all adds up.

Thanks for the advice.

OK maybe never going to do 67 m.p.g unless your driving on Australian roads and stick her on cruise control.

But the combined urban/rural is supposed to come in at 4.9 lts per 100kms travelled.

Anyone buying the car would think this is what is achievable but frankly it is'nt by a long chalk.

how is it otherwise? would you recommend it? i'm going to be starting a new job in august whihc could involve driving about 80-100miles a day. the S40 diesel is on the shortlist along with Accord, Audi A4, Golf Tdi.

A4 versus S40...............................You must be joking!!!!!!!!!!! S40's not on the same pitch never mind the same league.

Have to say, there is some amount of spec with the S40 SE. I find the ride,comfort and spec fantastic, better than the German marques - I wasn't impressed at all with the A4, and to get a similar spec in a 3series or C class, you are talking at least 10k more
I'm driving a 1.8 petrol, poke is still decent, and fuel consumption is a bit higher than I would like, although I am doing much more city driving these days than before....didn't do enough mileage to justify a diesel..
Don't regret the purchase one bit - the first time I can say this after about 5 cars so far...

caff - from what i've read or been told A4 could be a bit too firm for driving so much each day? the 1.9tdis have got good reviews from a performamce point of view, mpg etc. On the other hand I'e read the S40 is a much more comfortable car and at 100 miles a day comfort has fot to figure!

hi, iat present have a 99 a6 tdi and was looking at some s40 diesels,, 2005 or so, nice spec and i also hired one once which was a 2.0 and thought it was fantastic to drive, very responsive and 6 speed box, leather the works, now i see there is a 1.6 diesel also out there, price is not bad on these models but is this engine any good,, could it be a ford engine being used in this model?

any comments

yes clonboy, volvo these days use ford engines, really you are buying a more expensive ford. 1.6D and 2.0D Are ford engines, I think the D5 is Volvo's own. The s40 is nice indeed. But I would go for the 2.0 d. If you drive it economically there is no reason you can't get near the same mpg as the 1.6D. I drive an 02 passat tdi 130bhp and can easily get between 50-60 mpg depending on how i drive it. I usually keep to the speed limits, Slow down to the point of when I MUST brake. That's so important. People use cruise alot and then brake instead of judging the road ahead and switching off cruise at the stalk rather than waiting till you are up the other cars ass and breaking hard. It works for me.And loads of other things affect mpg , like wind, hills, overtaking etc..

True how you drive has a big effect on economy. No jumping on and off the brakes. Its about energy management and not accelerating or cruising too fast.

1.6 and 2.0 litre diesel units used in Volvo, Ford, Peugeot, Mazda, Citroen etc. were jointly developed by Ford and Peugeot.

S40 share same basic chassis (and engines) as a Focus but they are quite different to drive. The body, interior and trim are unique.

The 2.0 TDCI engine will always use 10-15% more fuel than a corresponding 1.6 btw irrespective of how gently you drive.