Volvo 1.8 Flexi Fuel S40

cmalone

Any comments on this car? My brother is thinking of buying and has price of 24500 with a dealer- based on a vw golf 1.4 00 model trade in with 122k miles. Is that good?

What is car like compared to competitors like VW passat etc?

Many thanks everyone

Hi Cmalone,

I have an S40 1.6 Petrol SE. I would recommend if at all possible your brother try to get the SE version. I did have a passat in the past but it was the base model so no comparison regaring interior. Also the 1.6 S40 feels quicker that the equivalent Passat (It is a smaller car).

Overall the S40 is a really nice drive (focus chassis) and very luxurious. The extra BHP in the 1.8 might also be nice.

Not too sure about the trade in. I guess it looks ok if its the SE model.

The Flexifuel only comes in the SE spec, which is very comfortable

I bought one in April last year and to be honest I am very happy with it.
I paid 29k for mine, but that included approx 1500 in extras. So your friend is getting a decent trade-in I think.

Just note that there is not many places to get the E85 fuel, but that is no problem - I have only filled up with the E85 once since I bought it

I have a Volvo S40 1.8 SE petrol.

Absolutely love it and it's very economical and luxurious inside compared to VW's.

Is this a good idea anyone:

Trade in a 2006 Volvo 1.6 diesel SE now for the 1.8 flexifuel.

The 1.8 retails around 29k (50% reduction in VRT) and I suspect I would be offered 24k trade in against my diesel.

Currently do about 18k miles p.a.

Thanks