Volunteer emergency services madness on the roads

colin79ie

I am wondering can anyone answer this.

My local RNLI lifeboat station is about a mile outside the centre of town. Often I see cars coming at speed through narrow streets and roads with either hazard lights and horns blaring or various forms of blue flashing lights. These are civilian volunteer cars with no markings whatsoever. They have no regard for other road users or padestrians and some seem almost out of control with speed.

While I understand that they are in a hurry to answer the emergency call, are they covered by insurance or any law that allows this behaviour. I know they have had no training to drive like this, unlike Gardai/Ambulance/Fire brigade.

A firefighter friend of mine informs me that should they have an accident they would not be covered by their insurer for driving dangerously?

If it was you or a member of your family that needed to be rescued would you want them to drive at 50kph?
They would not have an insurance issue?

I am wondering can anyone answer this.

My local RNLI lifeboat station is about a mile outside the centre of town. Often I see cars coming at speed through narrow streets and roads with either hazard lights and horns blaring or various forms of blue flashing lights. These are civilian volunteer cars with no markings whatsoever. They have no regard for other road users or padestrians and some seem almost out of control with speed.

While I understand that they are in a hurry to answer the emergency call, are they covered by insurance or any law that allows this behaviour. I know they have had no training to drive like this, unlike Gardai/Ambulance/Fire brigade.

A firefighter friend of mine informs me that should they have an accident they would not be covered by their insurer for driving dangerously?

So what would you have them do?

This scares me, you're much more likely to have an accident using blue lights and/or sirens as without. In my own voluntary organisation the use of both is heavily monitored and restricted, all use of them has to be documented and explained.(That's in organisation vehicles, not private). Add to that these people are in private cars I think it's an accident waiting to happening.

They do a great job though but maybe they're a little overzealous with the horn and lights. I'm not even sure it's legal...maybe the RNLI have permission.

Back