Volcanic ash - stranded passengers

sole

We were stranded in New York for 6 days due to the Ash. We traveled with Delta.They rebooked us on the home flight which was 6 days later.
Delta say we are due no expenses and made absolutely no attempt to help - not even a glass of water.
All EU carriers are paying reasonable expenses - some reluctantly.
I understand Delta are not governed by the EU rules as we were not leaving the EU. Coming into EU is not covered.
It appears they are outlaws as far as Ireland is concerned. Is there any were we can turn? Seems grossly unfair that most Airlines are paying but Delta can just say no.
My insurance may pay a pittance.
Any help.

The ludicrous law forces airlines to pay for passengers board and lodging for an unlimited period of time if those passengers are stranded through no fault of the airlines does not apply to non-EU airlines not flying from one EU point to another EU point.
That is, the EU passed a law that penalises only EU airlines thus affording a great competitive advantage to non EU airlines, many of whom just cant pay those bills.

Delta acted within the law.

Whether the level of concern they showed made commercial sense is a different matter. Some big EU airlines like Singapore Airlines are in fact paying passenger expences though they dont have to.

The law that applies in your case is not EU law. Delta flying from Atlanta would be covered by US law so no, you have no comeback on the airline for this. You'll just have to live with the pittance.

It was a similar story in LAX, Delta were minimally helpful - even rebooking was a chore - and certainly no-body was supplying the queue with water (given the paucity of facilities in LAX Terminal 2 departures - no shops, vending machines or even water fountains -this was a real issue)

Delta

Thanks for the replies.
Interesting to know others had the same experience.
I have written to Delta and they have asked for a detailed claim. Perhaps they are going to generous and go beyond their legal position! My faith in mankind is being rejuvenated!!!

American LAw

Does anyone know the exact American Law governing cancellation of flights or where to find same.