VoIP

brian.mobile

Hi all,

Have broadband and phone line. Someone mentioned about VOIP. Some questions:

Is there a 'VOIP cordless phone' you can buy? From Maplin, I believe.

How does the whole VOIP thing work?

Presume I keep my line for incoming calls?

How is the number dialled?

Any personal experiences of this would be helpful.

BM

Can I suggest you contact www.blueface.ie as I have found them very helpful re their Voip services. Personally speaking, I have invested in a router from them. This specic router allows me to use an ordinary phone or any compatable handsfree set of one's choice, to be plugged into it. Indeed I dont even need to have my computer on at all which is great.( Most Voip's are dependant on the computer being on as far as I know)Depending on how good the Broadband service is that you are using , could also influence the quality of your phone calls. Blueface have some great packages as well. Good luck

Brian,

I recently got a Skype phone. Very easy to install, and they have cordless phones for sale on their website for cheaper than I found in the shops. Just one word of warning, 999 calls don't work from it, so you would need to have a mobile too.

However if having a phone number is important to you, blueface looks like a good option. Their rates are look as good as Skype. Do a comparison on their call plans on the website.

Personally, I didn't want a monthly phone bill. Have my broadband through cable with NTL, so limiting my bills, as we got a deal with our TV package.

Check out Magnet too. They have a VoiP service too, with a TV package deal - very high speed internet too. Only in limited areas though and you have to get a phone line first, then they swap you over.

Don't need PC on with Blueface just router and modem

I agree thay are excellent

I'm using smart's phone adapter.A top class service the computer doesn't need to be on when making calls.It's called smart 076 check it on their website.You can check all you calls instantly,it's similar to a ready to go mobile system where you put credit into the account with your laser/credit card.It's very cheap and manageable,the best one out there I think.:) :)

Back