Vodafone Broadband / landline

bigjoe_dub

Have an elderly aunt living on her own. She has Vodafone broadband and landline. Her WiFi is fine but is having issues with her landline. VF giving her a bit if a runaround. Eir called to her house as they would look after the copper wire up to the house. All is fine as I would expect given that the broadband is fine. Issue back with VF. I managed to get VF to ring her today on her mobile. Heal of the hunt they are saying she needs to new cordless handset that us VoIP compatible. I assume then that this plugs into one of the phone sockets at the back of the router. My question is would anyone have a make and model of a handset that would be VoIP and will work with this Vodafone broadband? Can’t find anything online. She us at her wits end as her emergency panic button uses the landline. Any help appreciated.

A VoIP handset will not be a landline. It will be working over the broadband connection. Go back to Vodafone to get them to fix the landline.

Vodafone are moving away from supporting phone via phone cable and pushing people towards VOIP for landline.
On the Vodafone website they say that their VOIP does not support Panic/medical alarm services.
I think you need clarity on whether your Vodafone package includes landline via phone cable or is VOIP based only. The handset may be a red herring.

When did the issue arise? Did she move to Vodafone at the time? As @odyssey06 says, Vodafone have been pushing the VOIP service for some time now. I got a letter a number of years back about an 'upgrade' to my line that would require replacing the face plate of the connection in the house. The small print covered that this involved moving to VOIP services for phone and would not work for monitored alarm systems. I contacted them to decline but they still made the change on the line. Took them a few days to revert the change after I complained.

thanks all for the information. My aunt changed some time ago. she has no documentation and she cant even show me a bill so I can see what she has. I will need to get back onto them and try and get the landline reinstated. thanks for all your help.

Worth checking the simple things first. Are the appropriate broadband filters in place? They look like this:

The OP reports a problem the other way around, ie. The BB ( WiFi as the OP called it) is fine but the land line is dodgy.
Lack of filter(s) will/may pull down the (a)DSL but will not pull down the PSTN line.

The OP reports a problem the other way around, ie. The BB ( WiFi as the OP called it) is fine but the land line is dodgy.
Lack of filter(s) will/may pull down the (a)DSL but will not pull down the PSTN line.
Lack of filter or faulty filter can impact on landline.

Hope you get somewhere with Vodafone but I don't think it will solve the emergency button issue. Does anyone in your family live near your aunt? If so an option is to go with an Apple Watch 4 or later with falls detection that rings the nearby person. Initial cost not cheap but emergency alert services are not cheap either - what is the alert service costing her? We also recently connected my Dad's beloved ancient BT handset to an iPhone (took a bit of electronics) but if the issue is "favourite phone" that they can answer ok (a lot of older people lose dexterity for smartphones), worth thinking about?

I was talking to an Eir customer who had a very similar problem, Very noisey on calls. She thought that it was the cordless phone that was the problem too. It was also VOIP. It turned out to be a problem on the line outside . It only affected the phone line but not the broadband. So the fault may not be internal at all.

but is having issues with her landline

What is the issue with her landline?

In the past, I had an issue with a crackling sound on the phone (cordless phone but not VOIP). Line test / external line was checked and all ok there. The BB was functioning ok, and it was the line splitter that was causing the issue. Eir sent one out to me and once I replaced that, no more "crackling" on the line.

Was it a filter or a splitter that was faulty Jazz ? If it was a filter like in the photo above I can understand but a customer should not be asked to replace a splitter.

I had to replace the ADSL splitter, which is what Eir sent me (I may have the incorrect term) - similar to pic:

1594982728899.png

When I worked with Eir they were called filters. They, filters, can cause noise but unfortunately many things can be the cause of a noisy phone line both external and internal. Eir will only check the line to the main phone socket , after that it is for Vodafone , in this case.

Back