Vodafone 3G Broadband Modem

well my idea on the whole thing is that its of no use...

most of the phones now have a built in modem and they can easily be hooked up to your PC or laptop via cable or bluetooth.

this will enable your computer to go online via your phones existing moden eliminating the need to get a new 3G card....

hope this helps...

But in terms of charges isn't this like the difference between dial-up/pay as you go internet access and flat fee broadband access? In the situation that you describe you will be paying according to the amount of time/data transfer used while online whereas the 3G modem has a flat fee for unlimited (subject to cap?) usage?

Its the best option for people who are out of reach of regular dsl broadband. Theres a very long thread on the subject over at boards.ie (listed either under 'broadband' or 'ireland offline' - cant remember which)that I suggest the OP should read. The reports are good - and they are no longer charging a ridiculous amount as they used to up until recently.

Be aware that its not rolled out everywhere...

there are one or two threads here about them too.
good option if you have nothing else. if you go card you will be charged a monthly flat fee (€40 i think) for reaonable use. if you use your phone you could be charged a whole lot more.

I've been using one for about 5 weeks at this stage. I got one as it was the only broadband option available to me without getting a phone line installed.

The only problem I have noticed is that 2 nights it was not picking up DHCP settings correctly. (Probably just a Vodafone network fault and generally resolved itself after about 15 minutes).

Apart from that, it is great. I believe you are limited to 5Gb per month download but it is unclear what happens if you go over that. (Additional charges, etc?)

I'd agree with ClubMan, flat fee for the month v Mobile Phone usage could be a huge difference in price. For me, it was a great option...

----

Here is another thread on this option...
http://www.askaboutmoney.com/showthread.php?t=45043&highlight=Vodafone

Last edited:
Back