Vitreous China : Scratched with Aluminium Sink

simp

The pedestal on our new sink wasn't suitable for our plumbing - so we got our hands on a suitable old pedestal from a salvage warehouse... It was fine, but a little mossy and dirty, so I gave it a good scrub. I then rinsed it off in the old aluminium sink - only to discover that the aluminium had left little scratch marks on the surface... I tried to shift them with Cif, but to no avail. Does anyone have any suggestions?

I presume you are referring to a stainless steel sink when you say "aluminium sink". You could try using "Bar Keeper's Friend"- it's a cleaner in powder form which when applied with a damp cloth is very effective for most stains and marks. It's worth a shot anyway.

Thanks Carpenter - yes - I probably do mean stainless steel - I'm a bit of a novice when it comes to sinks... I'll try to track down some of that cleaner - where would I get it?

Also, a google of the problem suggests that Coca Cola might do the trick, since it's so full of acid - and the active ingredient in Barkeeper's Friend is Oxalic Acid, so that may work..!

simp said:
Now where would I get some in Dublin..?
Don't know, I bought it in my local Homevalue hardware shop in the midlands. I think Kleeneze catalogue might do it as well.

Okay - phoned half a dozen places in Dublin, and no-one has heard of the stuff... Anyone have any idea where it can be found? Thanks...

Thanks Eeeeeeeek! Might try the Kleeneze people first... Why is it so difficult to get useful stuff in Dublin sometimes..?

Alternatively try calling a stockist of Franke sinks in Dublin and asking them. Their representative used it on my sink.

You could try limescale remover from Lidl, it contains sulfuric acid.