Visual Studio 2008 Express

WGT

Hi,
I've bought a book to learn how to build web sites using ASP.NET 3.5.
I've tried to download Visual C# 2008 Express from the web, but it tells me my version of Windows 2000 Professional is too old.
2 Questions ...
1. Would I be better upgrading to Windows XP or Windows Vista (I've heard Vista is very buggy.)
2. Where can I get the cheapest LEGAL copies of these upgrades.
3. Would I be better off buying a new PC with Vista/XP already on it, as I want to have a test web-site running locally through IIS, that I can add new functionality to as I get better at web design

If it was me, I would buy a new machine with XP on it.

You'll need a decent machine for Visual C# 2008. If yours is old it will struggle. I'd go with Windows XP. Skip Vista and wait for Windows 7.

Even crawls with 2GB. I use the full version 2003/5 at work and it wasn't great with 2GB and Dual Zeons. Moving to 4GB made a big difference. Mind you I'd usually have SQL Studio 2005 open at the same time.

Even crawls with 2GB. I use the full version 2003/5 at work and it wasn't great with 2GB and Dual Zeons. Moving to 4GB made a big difference. Mind you I'd usually have SQL Studio 2005 open at the same time.

Are you sure your talking about Visual Studio Express and not Visual Studio.

Because Express is a few lighter program , and runs more then good enough in 1gb.

I'm now talking about Visual Studio. But the express version is going to be a nightmare on 261MB RAM which is what the OP has.