Vista..Is it any better now, or should I try to get XP?

Why not try this configuration with the white polycarbonate body - more RAM, bigger disk :

2.0 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
4GB 667MHz DDR2 SDRAM - 2x2GB
250GB Serial ATA Drive @ 5400 rpm
SuperDrive 8x (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)
Keyboard (British) & User’s Guide (English)

€1,134.00 incl. VAT Ships: 3 days Free Shipping

From the Irish Apple store - [broken link removed]

Wow guys, that is sooooo expensive!

I have just put in an order for an Acer Travelmate, Vista with an XP downgrade on it, cost me all of €530 for 160 GB hard drive, 2 MB RAM, which is more than I need

Hopefully the downgrading will go OK though...

Nicola

It is expensive allright - what recession?

Nicola, are you buying online or did you go around the shops - are you sure you want to downgrade to XP instead of waiting for Windows 7.?

I am going for another Apple Demo - but will need to wait another while before I buy because it is double what I intended paying.

Hi MandaC
I was buying online (seems much cheaper) but I just got an email from Dabs.ie this morning, saying there was going to be a delay in getting the computer delivered..So....
I cancelled the order, and instead popped over to Lidl where I got a laptop there for €600..
320 GB HDD (Toshiba)
2MB RAM
Intel Pentium Dual Core processor
WLAN/Bluetooth
Windows Vista(only negative so far)
As well as a THREE year Warranty (excellent)

I am very impressed with this laptop

Nicola

Sounds great....must check it out....was in Lidl today and did not see it....still thinking of going over to the Dark Side (Mac)

Regardless of brand, the power connector on a laptop motherboard is a common fault and most laptop repair shops will be able to fix it.

If you are buying a Mac don't buy the plastic one. The cases brake. Its a known problem which Apple have finally admitted and will now replace broken cases for free AFAIK.

Personally I dislike Vista. Have gone back to XP on one machine and to Windows 7 on another. Theres nothing I need in Vista or Windows 7. Its just extra fluff tbh. Nothing wrong with XP. A lot of the business laptops still have XP.

Nothing wrong with a Mac either. Nice machines. I need Windows for work though. For home and email and internet I would consider a Mac at the moment.