Visiting China

Rujib

Hi,

I am visiting China in November. Staying one week in Nanjing on business, with the option of taking a stop over in either Hong Kong or Shanghai. I propose to take two days holiday on the stop over leg.

Could anyone advise as to which might be the better of the two for a bit of sightseeing and shopping. Would really appreciate info as I simply do not have a clue.

Rujib.

Hong Kong is fantastic and you can get a lot done in two days, some wonderful sights and the shopping is great too. No idea about Shanghai, yet!

Hong Kong is absolutely fantastic and you'd definitely have a great time there - lots of great sights to see and superb shopping. Shanghai gives it a run for its money these days though and its a fabulous place to visit. 2 days isnt really enough in either but as thats all you have then head to Hong Kong as its 'easier' to do - everyone speaks English, transport system incredibly efficient & its compact so you won't spend too much of your short stay getting from fantastic place A to fantastic place B!
Stay on HK Island rather than Kowloon if you can.
Hope this helps!

Hi ChinaGreen,
I've travelled around most of China this summer, although I haven't been to Hong Kong. I found Shanghai to be amazing, it was the first place I visited and it blew away any conceptions I had about the country.

Its loud, hot (although probably not as much so in Nov) and busy. However, that said, we did not stay in any "tourist" hotels, as we were travelling with Chinese friends we stayed in a suburb where there was a food market (complete with ducks, eels, fish, and stinking to high heaven but amazing nonetheless), men on bicycles selling crickets in tiny baskets, acrobats on the street etc. That said, we'd have never found it without our CHinese friends.

I had a brilliant time there, if you wanted more traditional "Chinese" I'd recommend Beijing. Not sure how you'd cope without Chinese. We had no problem on our own in other cities, can't speak for Shanghai as, once again, we were accompanied. Hong Kong would probably be easier if youre only there for 2 days.

Have fun!

Dont forget that if you fly into china, go to hong kong for a couple of days and then go back into china you will need a multiple entry visa.

I was in Shanghai at the start of the year and was completely blown away, it puts any city I've been in before, in the shade, including New York, Bangkok, Sydney (well maybe not Sydney!) The place was so different, it's a huge city, skyline is very impressive about 10 times the size of the NY skyline. It's also dirt cheap, taxi are for nothing, most don't have English, if you have a good map with English & Chinese on it, you can point to the places you want to go to. You should see the main sights in 2 days and fit some shopping in at the markets also.

Hi, wondering if someone who has ben to China can help me. Travelling to China in August for 3 weeks. Flying into Beijing and out of Hong Kong.Between these citiesw we have about 2 weeks. Now Xian is probably the next stop after Beijing, and possible the Yangtze cruise from Chongqing to Yichang [willing to omit if a better option is suggested!]. Can anyone suggest a route from here to Hong Kong?
So far, have come up with 2, either go Fechuang, Guiling, Yangsho or Yunnan-Kunming etc - or is there time to do both? Heard good things about Yunnan, but is just a bit out of the way with time being so limited- suggestions?

Hi, wondering if someone who has ben to China can help me. Travelling to China in August for 3 weeks. Flying into Beijing and out of Hong Kong.Between these citiesw we have about 2 weeks. Now Xian is probably the next stop after Beijing, and possible the Yangtze cruise from Chongqing to Yichang [willing to omit if a better option is suggested!]. Can anyone suggest a route from here to Hong Kong?
So far, have come up with 2, either go Fechuang, Guiling, Yangsho or Yunnan-Kunming etc - or is there time to do both? Heard good things about Yunnan, but is just a bit out of the way with time being so limited- suggestions?

Here is a possible route. Read the itinerary notes to learn more. [broken link removed]

satisfied customer

Looks good soy, cheers, think we'll have to give Yunnan a miss this time anyway, from talking to people, ya need more than just a few days there. Am hearing great things about Yangsho anyway so looking forward to it!!

Back