Visiting a beekeeper/beehive

truthseeker

Does anyone know whether it is possible to visit a beekeeper/beehive in Ireland?

I have emailed a couple of people from the Irish Beekeepers Association that I found links for on the internet, but no responses.

Id just like to go for a visit to see a beehive up close and see the honeycombs and how the colony behaves etc.....

Id appreciate any info that anyone has.

Why don't you go to your local market, there is usually someone selling honey, maybe they would oblige you?

Hi truthseeker, yes FIBKA members will generally be only too happy. The local associations run beginners classes and are delighted to have new members. The cost of the classes is very low and will bring you through all stages of honey production and bee management. I'd suggest talking to Michael Gleeson ( ) to find a contact in your area that you can phone (email is a bit unreliable for some associations!).

It's a little early in the season for demonstrations and classes (a bit cold to be letting the bees out).

Hi truthseeker,

Have a look at http://www.irishbeekeeping.ie/
Theres a map in there with all the contact details of members from around the Country, they are usually a very helpful group of people

Thats the site I already used to send some emails - unfortunately no response from any of them - but its entirely possible some of the email addresses are old or not checked regularly etc....

Ive been trying for a month or so now using email addresses from there but to no avail.

I shall try Michael Gleeson then - thanks so much for that advice!

If you have any trouble then you can PM me and I can get up to date contact details for some the Dublin area. My FIL is involved.

Thanks PGD1 - if you could pm me up to date info for Dublin thatd be great.

Thanks very much for all the interest and help - Id no idea so many people were interested in bees

i hate honey, but the stuff my FIL produces is amazing and I can just eat it off a spoon! He has two hives now for experimenting and we have our own too. Will set it up on his land though as we have young children who could mess with it.

I'll PM you the details now.

oh just BTW the guys name I gave you is not my FIL in case you confuse him!

TBH you should have gotten everything you need on the sites already mentioned. All I know is that this person is involved in said associations and two of my family member talk to him regularly about it.

Airfield House in Rathfarnham have a winged beast week for children during April and last summer they had a beehive expo so might have it again this summer. www.airfield.ie.

there is a course run in Gormanstown over the summer, also have seen some classes in the autumn in cork advertised