Visa Waiver Program- USA

rustbucket

Has anyone else gone through this ridiculous process. Is there not an easier way?

GF booked flights to USA for birthday.
Went on to Aer Lingus to 'add aditional information'

1. API for USA and Spain- had to go through this on Aer Lingus.com- went fine.

2. Thenit says you have to go and apply for a VWP (Visa Waiver programme) and directs you to another website.

A. Website link doesnt work!
B. Found another link via Google and you have to go through a ridiculous data entry process filling in the same info Ive already filled out twice on Aer Lingus website.

They then ask for a $14 dollar fee per person to be paid by credit card. (I dont have credit card, booked Aer Lingus with Laser). This despite US Embassy website saying their should be no fee

Another thing is that only people with Certain passports can do it. Has to be machine readable, or Electronic passport with digital photo.

Rang Aer Lingus- no help at all.

Have never travelled to the states so have no idea really. Is there an easier way to do this?

Hi rustbucket

The form has to be completed and the charge is $14 to be paid by credit card. This fee was introduced last August/September. The fee covers you for travel into the US for 2 years.

This link should enable you to apply directly. There is no easier way. Does you gf hold an Irish/EU passport?

[broken link removed]

Marion

Hi Marion

Yes she does but it was issued in 2005. Mine is newer and is a full digital/electronic passport.

It says something about older passport holders not being able to apply this way. Is this the case?

Can all this be done at the airport or must it be done previously

Hi Marion

Yes she does but it was issued in 2005. Mine is newer and is a full digital/electronic passport.

It says something about older passport holders not being able to apply this way. Is this the case?

Can all this be done at the airport or must it be done previously

A 2005 passport is fully machine readable - though not electronic it is valid for an ESTA.

You need to have ESTA clearance 2 days before you fly to the US and is a condition of your airline booking. Try getting one of those prepaid credit cards..you can get them most places that do phone credit.

rustbucket: this link to the embassy suggests applying at least 2 weeks before travelling.

[broken link removed]

Passport requirements are dealt with in this link:

[broken link removed]

Post crossed with Shesells'

Marion

Make sure you save the form at the end and take note of the reference number assigned to you - it is handy to have it everytime you enter the US as you need to update the flight arrival and the place you are staying each time. I got my approval before they introduced the credit card charge so it may have changed but previously they did not send you any details, it was up to you to retain them.

The ESTA system is, to put it mildly, clunky, but at least now you don't also have to go the bother of filling out that little green form they used to give you as well. If you think it annoying that the airline and the US government both ask you to submit your details, you should have tried it when additionally you also had to fill out the customs form (which you still have to do) AND that green landing card thingy too with pretty much so the same info.

Your ESTA is valid for two years and as many entries to the US as you like, each flight landing into the US must provide the CBP with specific passenger details (including things like meal choice if you request a special meal). The function of each is slightly different. ESTA is because you do not have a US passport but do not need a US visa for a visit - so they need to know who you are. The airline API applies to all passengers irrespective of their citizenship or visa status etc. and is to screen for potential threats landing into the country. Hence the reason why they need those details in advance also. The API can be done at the airport but the ESTA must be done in advance.

Another thing is - if you are going to the US a credit card would be advisable - you can survive without one but they do tend to be very useful!

Believe it or not I am still trying to get this done. Website does not work at all. beginning to get very irate......

Back