Visa for Vietnam

Hi guys

We are off to Vietnam in 8 weeks time so we need to get our skates on about organising a Visa. I was wondering what the best way to go about this is? Should we apply directly to the Vietnamese Embassy in London ourselves or organise it through someone like Trailfinders. I have also read that you can organise a Vietnamese visa in Thailand for less than what you would pay here. We fly to Bangkok before flying onto Ho Chi Minh but we arrive at 06:40 and leave again at 09:00 so I am presuming there won't be enough time there to organise it in Bangkok.

Any help would be appreciated as I have never had to organise a Visa before!!!

Thanks

Why pay a third party for something you can do yourself. The info on the Vietnamese Embassy in London is really clear. We had ours back within ten days of posting the passports. We registered them on the way out but they came back normal post from the UK.

I was thinking the same thing to be honest but I just wanted to make sure. I have been looking at their site and maybe I am half blind but I can't find the Visa Fee!! Can you remember what you paid?

P.S. - I have just remembered we are off to Nottingham for the August bank holiday and Ryanair have requested we travel on a passport and not licence! According to the Vietnamese Embassy website it can take upto 4 weeks to get the passport back. Do you know if there is any alternative???

Last edited:
You can apply for a Vietnamese visa on arrival too. Sounds like that might suit you best. Lots of info on the Vietnam forum over on tripadvisor.

P.S. - I have just remembered we are off to Nottingham for the August bank holiday and Ryanair have requested we travel on a passport and not licence!
Why? Non passport photo ID should suffice for travel between Ireland and UK.

When we did this we got our visas in Bangkok but it took 5 days and so wouldn't be an option for you. You can as another poster advised, pay for it literally at the border.

Only way is through the embassy in London. Usual turnaround is 10 working days. Email the embassy or check the Tripadvisor forum for the price (as it's not the Vietnam website!!)

Only way is through the embassy in London. Usual turnaround is 10 working days. Email the embassy or check the Tripadvisor forum for the price (as it's not the Vietnam website!!)

Not true any more. You can get Visas on arrival. Wasn't an option (I think) when we went 3 years ago which is why we sent our passports away but now you don't have to.

Thanks for all the help guys.

Has anybody uses the "Visa on Arrival" option? I have looked into this quickly and found it at this website - http://visa.guidevietnam.com/

I just want to make sure it is all legit before I travel. It would be very handy for us so that we don't have to send passports to London. There is a $25 stamping fee upon arrival but I would be slightly worried that you would turn up with the letter and they charge you what they like!!

If anybody has used this option I would love to hear how it went for them.

Thanks

Do you want to spend any of your holiday sorting this sort of crud out? Get the info from the embassy (email them and they will tell you what to do) - fire the passports in the post along with payment - and they will land back through your letterbox in a couple of weeks. Done and dusted - and hassle free quality time in 'Nam maximised!

Much easier to do it through the london embassy, it is very difficult at the border to sort that type of stuff out. We got ours in Thailand worked out pretty much the same price.