Visa Debit Card compromised

Thirsty

Thankfully fraud was caught by bank. Scammers successfully changed the VerifiedByVisa password, requiring my DOB.

Bank were pretty keen to insist that I had been phished. Not that it's beyond the bounds of possibility, but I've checked all incoming email, even spam & trash & can't find anything that I might have even inadvertently responded to.

I do however, have the last online purchase where I was asked to include 'VerifiedByVisa'; is it possible that the breach came from there?

Any other ideas? (not social media - don't do it).

Run a full antivirus on your laptop / pc. There might be a key logger, or something that exposed auto saved values for forms.
Other than that, anyone with access to your card that knows your DOB? Did the bank give an indication of where the fraudalent transaction was coming from?

Corporate laptop, encrypted etc., & a check has confirmed all up to date. But yes will drop into onsite shop in the morning for a check.

Anyone living in my house knows my DOB & has access to my wallet in the normal course of events; again I know it happens, but hm.. no, not likely a family member would try this tack. Can't imagine they'd by-pass the cash to try an online fraud.

Bank called out two transactions - one for a recognisable named charity which was odd. Didn't recognise the other company name, no doubt both are fronts anyway.

It just sounds unusual to go to the extra effort of changing verified by visa password. Scammers have plenty of ways to use stolen card details without it.

It is odd isn't it?

Bank had exact time it happened; definitely wasn't me and given that it was the password change that raised the red flag, you'd have thought the scammers would have stayed away from it. But it does mean they have my DOB & I'd quite like to know how.

Did you put your DOB into a website recently for any reason?
Your pc or wifi network could be compromised.

Yep - about 4 weeks ago - entirely legit site & reason.

Laptop - not too likely, see earlier post; though I'll confirm that in the morning.

Home wi-fi worth checking all right.

Hi Thirsty. Are you sure that it was the bank who contacted you to report that your card had been compromised?

I've always thought that the DOB is an odd thing to use for security. Its given out everywhere. Its often can be worked out from different things, classmates, Facebook posts.

I use a fake one most of the time unless I have to use a real one. A few years back, Facebook acquired my real one from somewhere else. I had to change it back to a fake one.

On the Banking 365 mobile phone app, one of the security questions is your mobile phone number. So if someone stole your phone, they would obviously have that.

I don't think banks really take security seriously except in the sense of pushing the onus onto customers.

On the Banking 365 mobile phone app, one of the security questions is your mobile phone number.

It's actually the last 4 digits of the number you used when setting up online access. In my case, it's the number of a place I lived in ~20 years ago, so no one is ever going to guess that correctly for me.

The number you use for that doesn't change as you change your contact details with them. I believe you can call and request that the security number is changed, so you could request it be changed to something memorable that no one with your phone would have access to.

Back