Visa cant cancel room

Zerograze

Hi all.....
I'm heading off to India next week and had booked a room on-line in a hotel.When i went to check details of it i could not find any info of our booking.I emailed them to check if they had confirmation of our booking and i got no responce.Then four days later i book another hotel and e-mailed to tell them if i had a booking i would like to cancel it. They e-mailed me back striaght away to say that i coulod not cancel booking and that i was going to charged in full for room for full stay two nights 15to17th of December if i cancelled or tried amend the booking.Is there anything i can do?

Highly unusual. Its normally possible to cancel without penalty up to 24 hrs in advance of arrival.

I don't understand the heading? It has nothing to do with Visa unless they are a chain of Indian hotels?

Thanks for info.....I will check if they have a cancelation policy.The link to Visa is a Visa card is the only possibility way of taking a payment of money off me even if i dont use the room.I fearing they will charge my visa card for my stay even if i dont use their hotel.

I had to cancel hotel bookings twice this year (in France and Spain) due to the ash cloud and later due to the French strikes. In both cases there was no problem. I also asked them to confirm that this would be done at no cost to me, which they did

trailfinders used to always charge the 1st night of every cancelled booking,even if the hotel had a 24 hour cancellation policy. you could try and dispute the charge with visa but there is no obligation to let you cancel

You must have chosen an "Advanced Payment" option or something, but the cancellation policy will tell you this. It's why it's so important to read the small print before proceeding.