Virus protection/firewall

munsterman25

Hi,

My new laptop comes with a free 90 day trail of MCafee security center and the biult in windows XP security center? I also have antivirus software provided to me by my employers. Which should I use? not all 3 I assume?

Is the windows firewall and virus protection sufficent or should I use the MCafee virus protection with the windows firewalll. Im a little confused

Unless you pay for McAfee that will not continue to provide protection. If the laptop belongs to your employers then you should remove McAfee (that can be job in it's own right) and use the anti-virus product provided by them - they should have purchased a license for you. The XP security can run in parallel without a problem but it alone does not provide sufficient protection.

I uninstalled the McAfee 90 day "tease-ware" which had been installed on my Dell. I then installed my employers anti virus software, microsoft defender (free) and Zone Alarm (free).

Ajapale, was it easy to uninstall, in my exp these things can be easier said than done.
Thats what i will do I reckon use my employers anti virus and windows security centre.

Do you use Norton 'Ghost' or did you delete that too?

I googled "McAffee security centre uninstall + Dell" and got instructions on how to remove three components and the order to remove them in (Securtiy Centre was last). The instructions advised to reboot after each unintstall.

I had some difficulty installing my employers antivirus software (mcAfee 8.0i) on the dell Machine but Dell support talked me through the installation. I was getting gtb.exe errors (gtb = google toolbar)

I also got rid of the google desk which was installed in the machine. Dont get me wrong, I think google desk is a fine product I just dont want it pre installed on my machine.

A few days later I got rid of Norton Ghost this freed up a good bit of space on my hard drive.

I then installed ... Zone Alarm (free).

Remember that ZoneAlarm is free only for your personal home use. If you are using your computer for work as part of a business then you should purchase a license - these guys have to make money somehow, or there won't be a free version for home users.

I googled "McAffee security centre uninstall + Dell" and got instructions on how to remove three components and the order to remove them in (Securtiy Centre was last). The instructions advised to reboot after each unintstall.

I had some difficulty installing my employers antivirus software (mcAfee 8.0i) on the dell Machine but Dell support talked me through the installation. I was getting gtb.exe errors (gtb = google toolbar)

I also got rid of the google desk which was installed in the machine. Dont get me wrong, I think google desk is a fine product I just dont want it pre installed on my machine.

A few days later I got rid of Norton Ghost this freed up a good bit of space on my hard drive.

I ahev google desktop aswell. I assume this is just like the search engine is it?

Google Desktop is like a search engine for the files on your local drives. It was discussed here a few years ago. Its fine but it clogs up your hard drive very quickly.

aj

I prefer [broken link removed] to Google Desktop. There are [broken link removed] too.

Back