Virus problem help!

coleen

Hi
Today I opened an e-mail supposing to be from facebook about password changes but the minute I opened I have been getting things like serucity breach! in a little ballon in the corner if my lap top also it is telling me I have been infected by virus and when I click on the balloon it is from xp Gaurdian security it says unregistered version and I should now buy protection. I have AGV free anti virus and I am currently scanning the computer. It is saying I have 2 threats 2 troajan viruses. What do I need to do when scanning is finished It is also showing up lots of tracking cookies. It is now saying system hijack virus and spyware may be damaging your system now. Any advice please

Yes, don't sign on to your online bank or other important sites until you get this sorted.

Try a program called 'Hijack this'.. or the Windows Spyware Removal tool.

If you have to sign on to banking etc, then enter half the password, change windows with the mouse, type some random stuff... move to another window etc, then back to the bank log in... this will help confuse hackers if they're using what's called a 'key stroke logger'

Actually that will not fool a key stroke logger - it logs all key strokes so not hard to figure out what is happening.

MALWAREBYTES is very good for cleaning up a PC.

It is still scanning by AGV but I tried to get into my
emails I have an eircom.net e mail but I cannot open it on my work laptop as normal. I use outlook to open my e mails on my computer and can open them on any laptop usually but it will not open now. What does this mean?

Actually that will not fool a key stroke logger - it logs all key strokes so not hard to figure out what is happening.

That's why I suggested also using the mouse to change windows, and typing into areas that cannot take text,.. I reckon it'd be hard or impossible to find out what's going on..

To the OP, it sounds like you've been infected... preventative medicine is best, you may have to save important documents and files and re-install Windows... that's the only guaranteed cure.

Re-installing Windows is the nuclear option.

Let AVG finish and take the recommended actions.
Then download MALWAREBYTES, update it, run a full scan.
Take the recommended actions.

Then run it again to check you are clear.
Then look at OUTLOOK issue.

when agv finished it said 4 threats found and fixed. When I tried to download MALWAREBYTES when i try to run it it says choose what program you want to open this with also lots of other things do not open either like outlook it also asks what program do u want to open outlook.exe with. Lots of files seem to have .exe at the end. I am not sure what it means. Any other ideas ?

EXE is an executable program.

The Windows messages suggest you have a major problem and it may be time to consider a re-installation as Joe suggested.

Your best bet is to have someone who knows what they are doing secure your data including your emails and then re-install.

Wouldn't say you need to re-install yet as thats probably way overkill, its probably just related to the virus. Some viruses change association of file types in the registry to stop AV programs detecting and clean viruses/malware etc.

One virus - a bit of an oldie called sircam causes such behaviour.
[broken link removed]

If that doesn't sort you out, try this
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555067 - this is for sorting out exe files not opening, tells you what registry keys to change. If your worried about making it worse just save it before you change it. After running regedit - go to file and export and save the file somewhere.

It sounds like somethings wrong with the Windows 'Shell' or something like that.., difficult to solve, requiring registy changes which could be very difficult. (although having read PaddyC links it seems possible, as only one or two changes are required)

The point is you cannot open emails claiming to be from Facebook, Paypal, Windows Update, Courier companys, greeting cards, banks, 'your pictures online' or any other unsolicited emails... or any files with extensions .exe, .scr, and possibly others...

Clicking links is also dangerous, as is opening zip files and running files with the above extensions...

You may have to re-install Windows.

Thanks for all the advice, most of it is over my head so I am going to find someone who understands and try and get them to sort it out. I hope it works

I've never manage to recover a machine 100% successfully once its exe associations have been messed with. Rather than messing with it for hours its usually far quicker just to reinstall windows.

Of course you'll need to backup your data and scan it before putting it on a clean machine. If you have any backups they might be infected aswell, ditto any system restore etc.

If you don't have a backup process , now is the time to get it sorted. If you need it.

Back