Virtual memory too low?

coleen

I am getting a message on my laptop which is a few years old about 4 and run on windows xp. It says my virtual memory is too low. What do I need to do if anything to sort this out. I only use my laptop for home use emails internet and some files and I do feel it has got slow. Do I need to update it and if so how? I am not overly computer savvy so if it is not complicated I might be able to sort it.

Hi There,

You can increase the virtual memory yourlself:

http://www.delete-computer-history.com/increase-virtual-memory.html

In Windows XP
1.Click Start, and then click Control Panel.
2.Click Performance and Maintenance, and then click System.
3.On the Advanced tab, under Performance, click Settings.
4.On the Advanced tab, under Virtual memory, click Change.
5.Under Drive [Volume Label], click the drive that contains the paging file that you want to change.
6.Under Paging file size for selected drive, click to Custom size check box. You can enter the amount of memory you would like to reserve for Virtual memory by entering the initial and maximum size.
7.Click Set
When you are prompted to restart the computer, click Yes.

great I will try that. What effect does it have on a laptop if its virtual memory is too low?

Download, install and run CCLeaner from Piriform.com. Great little clean-up programme. I've been using it a good while now and it does a great job. Should have a noticeable effect on your machine.

You could look at getting extra memory. My laptop is similar. It has 512MB, which was fine 3 years ago, but programme updates over the years mean this is only just adequate. I clean regularly, and delete old files, so I have a lot of space on the hard drive; that's not the problem.
Try www.crucial.com for a scanner which will identify the type of memory the machine needs.

No connection to crucial, just dealing with them at the moment.

Back