Village type setting not too far from Dublin?

JMR

Can anybody recommend areas to look at with the following qualities.....

Within easy commuting distance to west Dublin (approx. 20 miles from Newlands X)
Area must have a central village with good amenities - schools, shops etc

We have been thinking about the following in Kildare - Prosperous, Coill Dubh and surrounding areas but have not been out looking yet so do not know these areas at all!
This is an idea in it's very early stages!!

In short we are thinking of getting out of our tiny house in Dublin and away from what is rapidly turning into the sort of housing estate you would not choose to bring kids up in

All ideas and opinions greatly appreciated

Have you checked out a place called Rathmolyon - it is about 7 miles from Enfield. There is also Rathcore and Summerhill - a nicer village but getting built up..

Thanks for that pinkyBear but I was more thinking of the Kildare area rather than Meath......
I didn't specify that clearly in my original post

Within easy commuting distance to west Dublin (approx. 20 miles from Newlands X)

The reality of the situation is, that this, IMHO does not exist. The traffic on the Naas Rd. which would be your main feeder road is generally mad. A friend lives in Kill and says she spends her life on the Naas Rd. trying to get her kids to school.

A relative lives in Prosperous and says both there and Clane have dreadful traffic problems also.

One spot that I fancy big time is Bohernabreena but it would not have the village feeling that you need. Prices are also sky high. :(

Hi JMR,

Making the move to Clane myself in a few weeks time. I work in West Dublin and leaving Clane at 7.10 will get me to Clondalkin between 8.15 and 8.30. You have another alternative in the N4 (can come on to it at Maynooth) and leave at Woodies in Lucan - know a few people doing this already.

Best of luck with your decision.

I disagree about Kill. I signed for my house in February and although I havent moved in yet, I have had to meet builders on site at 8.30 am on numerous occassions to let builders, tradespeople in.

One morning, I left the house at 8.40am and was in work (near Wyeths in Clondalkin) before five to nine. Thats even quicker than it was taking me from Lucan. Granted, I can either turn off at Newcastle or the Kingswood Interchange, so dont have to go as far as Newlands Cross and I can see the traffic starting to build from beyond the Kingswood Interchange, so dont know how long it would take to get into work past that.

So far, I really like the area, all of the new people in the Estate are the same type of people, dont seem to be many renters (which I wanted away from)all of the people on my road are owner/occupiers.

There are two new developments in Kill at the moment. Earls Court(where I am) and Newtown Manor,so it would be well worth taking a look.

Area must have a central village with good amenities - schools, shops etc

We have been thinking about the following in Kildare - Prosperous, Coill Dubh and surrounding areas but have not been out looking yet so do not know these areas at all!
This is an idea in it's very early stages!!

In short we are thinking of getting out of our tiny house in Dublin and away from what is rapidly turning into the sort of housing estate you would not choose to bring kids up in

All ideas and opinions greatly appreciated

I live in Kildare Town and leave there between 7 and 7.30 every morning and have no problems with traffic. Good schools Tesco and Dunnes in Newbridge (planning gone in for a Tesco in Kildare) Eurospar & Lidl in the town, some nice places to eat & drink easy parking (although you have to pay now). It's nice. P.M. me ifyou pick an estate I'll tell you what it's like

Best of luck

I live in Kildare town too but moving to Rathangan, small town, village, very good primary and secondary schools, amenities getting better, lovely canal going through it.

Its about 20 mins drive onto motorway at Naas.

Rathcoole is a lovely village with good value to be had in the older estates like Forest Hills and Rathlawns

You should also look into the villages of Milltown, Kilmead , Caragh, Two-Mile House . All these convenient to either Naas, Newbrigde or Kildare. For real affordability you will have to search even further to the likes of Athy, Monasterevin & Laois. These are still accessible to West Dublin, though you will be talking about a significant commute. Could one of you relocate jobs to Kildare ?

The likes of Kill, Clane etc are all nice spots to live in and probably very convenient to Dublin ( for the most part) but the above named places are definitely more 'villages' in the traditional sense ie a small national school, church and shop type scenario.

Another poster mentioned Rathangan, also a nice quiet spot, with some lovely property.

Kill is a fabulous "village" fast turning into a sprawling one I'm afraid. It does have all amenities however the national school are not accepting new enrollments as they are full to capacity. Most important if you have kids.

Naas is great. Thre is absolutely nothing in Sallins. Naas has everything you can possibly want around you. Train, shops, restaurants, schools, hotels, gyms, parks, canal, hospital....but don't tell too many people!

I disagree about Kill. I signed for my house in February and although I havent moved in yet, I have had to meet builders on site at 8.30 am on numerous occassions to let builders, tradespeople in.

One morning, I left the house at 8.40am and was in work (near Wyeths in Clondalkin) before five to nine. Thats even quicker than it was taking me from Lucan.

I don't think your special case is applicable to the majority of people!
Kill is beautiful but for people who work normal hours inside the M50 it would be a living nightmare. Newtown Manor is a beautiful estate though...I was very impressed with the finish on the houses.

I think Kildare Town would be a good option to look at - the comute to Newlands cross is only about 30 - 40 mins depending on what time you leave at. There is also a few nice pubs, resturants, schools, shops etc. and Newbridge is only 5 mins away which has everything you could possibly need.

I think Kildare Town would be a good option to look at - the comute to Newlands cross is only about 30 - 40 mins depending on what time you leave at. There is also a few nice pubs, resturants, schools, shops etc. and Newbridge is only 5 mins away which has everything you could possibly need.

Again I have to ask...what relevance does the commute to Newlands Cross have? That's real estate agent speak. 40 minutes to Newlands Cross and another 40 minutes to the Red Cow roundabout would be more apt!

Again I have to ask...what relevance does the commute to Newlands Cross have? That's real estate agent speak. 40 minutes to Newlands Cross and another 40 minutes to the Red Cow roundabout would be more apt!

Do you get out and push the car from Newlands?

Do you get out and push the car from Newlands?

Right...so there's no traffic problems at Newlands Cross on on to the Red Cow roundabout in the morning? I'm glad you cleared that up. Good to hear that anyone looking to buy a home along the N7 with a view to commuting to Dublin in a car needn't factor in traffic.
How informative

Right...so there's no traffic problems at Newlands Cross on on to the Red Cow roundabout in the morning? I'm glad you cleared that up. Good to hear that anyone looking to buy a home along the N7 with a view to commuting to Dublin in a car needn't factor in traffic.
How informative

I think 40 mins from Newlands to the Red Cow is a bit of an over statement and to be fair it was ment as a joke!!

OP, depends on your working hours, early start time you would fly in from Kill to Newlands X. My parents live there so I know it very well and it's vastly improved and some lovely new developments there. The school situation is something you need to take into account, it's totally full and Ardclough, Naas or Rathcoole are your options which would be a right pain really!. My Dad leaves at 7am to be in Inchicore for 8am everyday and makes it unless something happens!. The traffic is mental but if you have an early start and finish you should be okay but rush hour in the mornings and evenings is a joke!.
Have you thought of Kilcullen even??. Aparantly it's a nice place to live in now and the prices are very good out there. Personally I dislike Naas, but that's just my opinion. Sallins...just a continuation of Naas imho. Kildare town, haven't been in it for years but was never mad about it. Rathangan is nice but it's a good bit out!.

Back