vila sol renaissance/vilamoura

sooty

Hi - has anyone had any experience of this hotel, we are thinking of staying at the apartments on-site - any place i look at the reviews recommends a car - we really don't want to have to hire a car.......alternatively if anyone knew of reasonable priced good quality accomodationin Vilamoura that would do..........seems to be a very expensive spot.

Why Vilamoura? Are you going on a golf trip?

I go to Portugal a lot (in fact, I bought an apartment in the Western Algarve in 2007) and I stayed in Vilamoura for a week when I was apartment hunting. I travelled around a bit and I remember speaking to a local while I was there and we were discussing Vilamoura and he said "it's not Portugal".

And the more I go to Portugal, the more I understand what he meant. Vilamoura is a custom made holiday resort that could be located anywhere in the world. There is a marina, there are golf courses and you could be in Nice or Marbella or anywhere else that plastic Paddys used to go during the late unlamented Celtic Tiger days.

So, my advice to you would be go to Alvor or Lagos or Tavira, or even Albufeira. Anywhere but Vilamoura.

Regards
Homer

Tavira, or even Albufeira. Anywhere but Vilamoura.

Better off going to Bundoran or Tramore than these two places. If you really want to know what Albufeira is lke watch Night Cops on Sky TV and then imagine the same with warm weather. Villamoura is a bit more refined with less lager louts turning up.

Better off going to Bundoran or Tramore than these two places. If you really want to know what Albufeira is lke watch Night Cops on Sky TV and then imagine the same with warm weather. Villamoura is a bit more refined with less lager louts turning up.

OK, fair point re Albufeira. But Tavira's not that bad (as far as I know). Personally, I much prefer Alvor, but Lagos and Tavira are the other two places in the Algarve that appear to have retained some authenticity and have not yet attracted the lager louts to too great an extent (maybe Carvoiera too).

Regards
Homer

Vilamoura it must be because we have a family event there so anywhere else not suibable......

Stayed in Pinhal Da Marina a couple of years ago.

Nice, clean apartments with friendly staff

Would thoroughly recommend the place even though it's approx a 15 minute walk into the marina.

Villa Sol

Hi,
We stayed in one of the apartment complex in the Villa Sol grounds with the kids. We had a very quite, relaxing, peaceful holiday of swimming, reading and lots of card/board games. I would recommend the complex but you would definitely require a car. It is a long way from Villamoura and a long walk to the store for basic supplies.

Hi Sooty

WE have been to Vilamoura twice and are going back again this year.

We dont hire a car,no desire,but love the place.