View desktop PC through a laptop

heather

I'm living in an apartment, dont have much space, I have a desktop pc which I dont use that much and a laptop (have to keep them seperate, desktop is for work). Rather than sertting up a workstation for the desktop, could I store it away, and view the desktop through the laptop when I need it? Basically using the monitor from the laptop to work on the desktop?

There are many programs out there that will allow you to do this. VNC is one popular free version that does all you will need. VNC is a little like 'hoover' these days - there are many versions produced by many companies all using the name VNC, but the original one is available at http://www.realvnc.com

z

I'd revisit the question of why you need 2 seperate machines. Would 2 seperate logins on a single machine achieve the desired effect?

they have to be seperate, as i'm not allowed to install anything onto my work machine, its strictly for work purposes, the laptop will be for my own use, photos, music etc

heather said:
they have to be seperate, as i'm not allowed to install anything onto my work machine, its strictly for work purposes, the laptop will be for my own use, photos, music etc

That would rule out VNC and Remote Desktop, as for controlling your desktop remotely would require installing utilities which would usually run at boot-up, on the host machine to enable you to "take control" of this machine from your laptop.

As both machines are co-located, perhaps this would be appropriate.

Back