video editing

seaflower

Hi, I've posted questions before about downloading video from camcorder to pc. I'm not at the stage of editing it:)

Can anybody recommend any (ideally free) software for editing videos? Also any online tutorials about video format/resolution/etc...

From what I found so far I think I should decrease the resolution and frame rate?? Any software I can use to do that? The trail versions I downloaded dont let me save the files, and I can't believe there won't be any free simple editing software.

Thank you!

If the content is in digital format then something like or (the free/open source) VirtualDub might be of use. I'm sure that there are many other commercial and free/open source alternatives out there depending on what you want to do so get searching. :)

While there would obviously be a cost involved I can very much recommend Apples I-Movie package. Needless to say you'd have to buy a mac to run it (mac mini from around €550 and re-use your old monitor, keyboard and mouse) but a more user friendly, intuitive 'home-use' system I have not come accross.

Thanks for the replies! Clubman, I did some searching already, and installed few programs to try them out, but they are either a trail version (can't save) or doesn't do what I want, or if it does it, I can't find it! :)

Eurofan, I'm only editing short clips for personal home use so don't want to invest in anything too fancy. I already have few PCs at home, no Mac's I admit, but my husband will kick me out if I bring home one more computer;)

I was hoping there will be a lot of camcoreder users here and I'll see what is everybody else using.

As far as I know Microsoft Movie Maker is a free download and works as long as you have XP (Service Pack 2).

Back