VHI travel insurance / E111

deputyjk

Hi all

I am just back from holidays to bulgaria. While there my wife and I both got food poisoning! We had to visit a local doctor who treated us. He said there was an excess on the policy and we had to pay €65. I know its not much but can this money be claimed back on the E111?

Thanks in advance

No. E111 (EHIC) only covers treatment through the public health service of the country being visited.

You can probably claim MED1 tax relief on the unreimbursed expenses at the end of the year.

Thanks Clubman. I thought as much. Good idea about claiming back on med 1 though.

I'm off on holliers in 3 weeks and my E111 cards (2 adults + 3 kids) have lapsed. I'm debating as to whether I should renew them or not as I have private travel insurance through the VHI. Any advice appreciated? Is there any reason to bring E111 cards when we are covered with private travel insurance?

Thanks in advance.

Galwegian44

I would suggest that you get EHIC cards ( the new name for E111). They are free so why even debate it.

If you have an emergency and an ambulance is called, the local public ambulance personnel may not be interested in your private insurance and may only be in interested in whether you are entitled to be treated in the local public hospital, which the EHIC proves.

What does your travel insurance say about what to in an emergency ? Are you advised to call an international number to find out about what local private services you are covered for. This is probably different per country, but you really dont want to have to do this when you need emergency treatment. What private services
exist in the country you are visiting ?

You dont say what country you are visiting, but in France, for instance, the public health system is brilliant, it is where you want to be if something happens.

Private health insurance is another backup, if you needed an air ambulance home or
further treatment but may not be your best option in an emergency.

Thanks HuskerDu, I'm travelling to Portugal so I will take up your advice and get the cards along with my travel insurance.

All the best,
Galwegian44

The card is great. V.easy to get - just apply - and so much easier to carry around. Everyone should get one just in case.