VHI Diabetes Screeing

europhile

I've just received a letter from the VHI saying that I have been randomly selected for free diabetes screening to includes test for cholesterol levels, cardivascular risk factors, liver, kidney bone (?) and thyroid functions.

Does anybody know anything about this? Is there some sort of catch?

Personally, I would suspect that while the individuals selected may be random, they may be within a high-risk subscriber population for certain conditions (age, smoker, drinker, over-weight, family medical history, own medical history, claim pattern, profession, etc, etc) Please don't respond one way or the other to my suspicions so we don't engage in a medical discussion.

Maybe have a think about the following -

• What are the potential benefits for you of accepting their offer? e.g.
    • Early detection of certain conditions
    • early and less invasive treatments
    • potentially better treatment outcomes
    • better health and life-style planning long-term
    • etc...
  • What, if any, are the potential downsides for you of accepting their offer?
  • What, if any, are the potential benefits or downsides for you of refusing their offer?
  • What are the potential benefits and downsides for the insurance company of you refusing their offer?
While they are a health insurer, they are an insurance company and they will have their tower-block of actuaries whose job is ensure that the company recognises at-risk / high-claim clients and targets them in some way to ensure the company survives and grows.

Beware insurance companies (or other financial institutions) bearing free gifts; it's likely there's more in it for them than for you, IMHO.

Last edited:
Just ask them to confirm in writing;

1) How you were selected?
2) What happens to the results of the medical? Who gets to see them?

Actually, I did this. I was randomly selected. Passed with flying colours. Happy to think that early detection was the key issue.

And the form makes it clear :

1. It is random - though age profile would be an issue.
2. Information is not passed on. Except to own GP.

Perhaps I am naive. But I was rather impressed.

mf

Back