VHI Claim And HSF Claim

J

jake burns

Hi can anyone tell me how I can make a claim to vhi and hsf without affecting each other , as both are requesting receipts and the vhi won't return them, I pay A PREMIUM TO THEM BOTH SO WHY CAN'T i MAKE A GENUINE CLAIM FROM BOTH?

Hi can anyone tell me how I can make a claim to vhi and hsf without affecting each other , as both are requesting receipts and the vhi won't return them, I pay A PREMIUM TO THEM BOTH SO WHY CAN'T i MAKE A GENUINE CLAIM FROM BOTH?

if you are insured by two insurance companies, then the cost of the claim is usually split by the two, depending on what each one covers on you plan.
will they accept a copy of the receipts ?
why have two insurance companies ? is there not a plan that one of them has to cover you needs ?

The two companies provide two totally different things.
VHI is a health insurer
HSF provides a personal accident type cover with benefits for a wide range of Medical procedures .As long as there is no overlap in what you are claiming for under both policies you should have no problem.
As regards getting your receipts contact the VHI and tell them exactly why you require them and advise them that unless these are received within the next 5 working days you are refering the matter to the Financial Services Onbudsman

As regards getting your receipts contact the VHI and tell them exactly why you require them and advise them that unless these are received within the next 5 working days you are refering the matter to the Financial Services Onbudsman

somehow, i don't think any insurance comp would receive a claim in the post, process the claim and send out receipts in 5 days !!!
what will the financial services Ombudsmand do ? from looking at the online version of the out-patient claim form, it states you won't get the receipts back.

Tell VHI that you'll be switching to Quinn at your next renewal unless they sort this out.

All you probably need is the copies.
Contact HSF and see waht they say and give them the VHI claim number

Overlap isn't a problem. There could well be some overlap between the two policies, but you are quite entitled to claim from both regardless.

HSF [broken link removed], VHI do not (but do issue a claim statement which suffices for some purposes in the absence of receipts - e.g. MED1 tax claims from Revenue).
Maybe the trick is to make the HSF claim first and only afterwards make the VHI claim?

You should read the terms and conditions regarding claim from both insurers

Below an extract from the HSE terms and conditions:

"In circumstances where part of the amount stated on a receipt has been met by another organisation, HSF health plan will limit its benefit payment to ensure that overall a contributor does not receive more than the total amount paid. If the full cost has been met by another organisation the claim cannot be accepted by HSF health plan".

Sorry, too hard to find on Vhi website and don't know which plan you have.

Sam

Last edited:
Thanks for the clarification, Sam. I guess that is exactly why they keep the receipts. Seems a bit restrictive from HSF, mind you. In the past, I definitely found myself in profit situations after claiming from both HSA (similar to HSF) and Bupa.