Very High Protection Sunscreen

Concert

Going on hols next week and temperatures should be extremely high, trouble is I'm having tests done for condition affected by sun and will not have results beforehand. I'm looking for an extremely high protection. Chemist told me that companies will not display exactly how high the protection is for legal reasons, all of the creams only say 50+, this is a health regulation seemingly. Never knew that before so in effect 50+ could mean a cream has anything from a 50 to a 100 protection.

If I can't get a high protection cream here does anyone know of a very good brand I can buy in Spain.

I had radio therapy a few years ago on one side and was told to use a very high factor. Used 30 first time and I got badly burned, being by the sea didn't help. I now us Garnier or Nivea factor 50 applied frequently and it works fine for me. Did you have a look at the kiddies section, I think Garnier may do a total block.
Good luck.

Thanks a lot. Factor 50+ is no good to me at the moment. Dont know what is wrong with my skin, neck and arms continually red and even the central heating aggrevating my skin so am looking for something much stronger than factor 50, if it's to be found in this country. Uvistat used to do a very high factor.

A company called Banana Boat also does high factors, unsure if they are widely available here

Go for sunscreen designed for kids or young babies (usually 50+ by default), as a fair skinned type, I have been using this type of sunscreen for years and hardly ever get burnt.
Remember as a general rule the factor basically means the time you should spend in the sun before you are likely to get burnt

I would recommend La Roche-Posay. I use the 50+ (Anthelios XL range) every day and it's for sun intolerant skin. There are different ranges. You can buy them in most chemists. I've tried other sunscreen creams but this one is by far the best I've used so far.

As a family of light skinned Irish people, I have found P20 made by Riemann the best sun protection. It is a once daily application and the only problem is that one can come home as pale as one went!! Have used it for years, only available in pharmacies.

Was told by doctor not to go near P20, a lot of chemists are not stocking it now. There was something about it on the radio recently and two top dermatologists were warning against the use of it.

A POPULAR suncream which does not protect the skin from UVA rays, long known to cause wrinkles and increasingly linked to skin cancer, is among a number of products withdrawn from sale by a major pharmacy chain here.
The chain of 56 Unicare pharmacies confirmed it no longer sells Rienmann's P20 suncream which offers a "tan without burning".
The product which remains on sale in many other outlets has been sold here for many years and has been used on children because it only needs to be applied once a day.
UVB rays are known to be instrumental in causing skin cancer but studies increasingly indicate that UVA can not only leave the skin leathering and wrinkled but may also compound the damage to cells caused by UVB.
There is no warning given on either the box of Rienmann's P20 suncream or the patient information leaflet within that UVA rays may be dangerous.

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/pharmacy-chain-removes-suncream-linked-to-cancer-257162.html

The EU won't allow companies here to state anymore then 50 as after its impossible to prove the relative effectiveness. Dermatologists are not fond of once a days one as you may think you're well protected but may not be. Basically there are too many variables.

Its better to reapply more frequently with a 50 than reappy less because you're wearing 80.

If I was the OP I'd use La Ray Poche 50 plus, vichy or ROC, reapply often and cover up with light clothes, hat and glasses. I've used all those and never has any trouble.

Thanks a lot. Factor 50+ is no good to me at the moment. Dont know what is wrong with my skin, neck and arms continually red and even the central heating aggrevating my skin so am looking for something much stronger than factor 50, if it's to be found in this country. Uvistat used to do a very high factor.

That's a bit of a bummer not being able to tolerate central heating or sun shine. Very uncomfortable I imagine. Have you seen a dermatologist or talked with your GP about allergies.

Hope you get it sorted out soon.

Factor 50+ all the way, I find Roc and La Roche Posay great. No sun screen can claim to give more the factor 50 proection anymore. Reapply often. Also get a good quality wide brimmed hat. If you think you are photosensitive, then it could be worth popping into somewhere like "The Great Outdoors" where you can by good lightweight clothes which will not let any light through. Mountaineers were sun protective clothing like this all the time, so its certainly available.

Sunplay perfect shield 120 spf, I used this in the Sahara to great effect - seriously this stuff is good.

don't know where you'll get it though - might need to do some trawling or get it off ebay etc.

For my baby, I put on Vichy block 50 plus his hat, plus tshirt and light shirts and Ikeep him in the shade between 12-3pm... Then after that I like a bit of sun on his skin for Vit D... I put on sun cream every 2 hours or so. I am a freak like that always scared he will get burnt. Read a recent study about sun cream saying people always liked it to "last" but really you should be going through a bottle every 3 days for a average sized adult if you are in the sun all day!!!!!!!

I use parasol on my kids and it works brilliantly - they've never been burned - actually they are as pale at the end of the summer as the start.

I use parasol also, i have never burned on my body. however I have burned with 50 on my face. Parasol is too greay to use on the face unfortunately

Back