Very cold in the Olympia

Brendan Burgess

Founder
I sat in seat M4 of the Olympia last night and there was a very uncomfortable draft coming from the door to the smoking area being opened fairly regularly.

A few people around me had their coats on, but most seemed not to notice, so maybe I am sensitive to drafts, at my age. I have very little problem with the cold generally.

I don't see why they open an outside door during a performance, so I asked the manager who said that I was the first person to complain, ever.

Anyone else had this problem in the Olympia?

strange one bren, the smoking area has been the same in there for years. I used to work in there and never noticed a draft. unless it was a particularly windy and cold night. and the occasional double door open meant the breeze got in. still, shouldnt happen.

That aside, I can never understand an answer to a complaint that takes the form "well, noone else has ever said anything". In your case, does the fact noone else has ever felt a cold there automatically mean you don't? If this were true, it would mean we could control temperature by quantizing the historical utterances related to said temperature.

"well, no one else has ever said anything" - a typical statement from an Irish person if you ask me and before you ask, yes I'm Irish. So what if you are the first person to complain, it should be taken seriously but 'sure ah it be grand'.

The manager was apologetic and the "no one else has ever complained" was by way of surprise at my complaint. If it's true, I could be a crank I could have just developed an extraordinary sensitivity to drafts recently. If so, they don't need to take any action.

In general, there was a lot of traffic. People getting up and down - going for a smoke, going to the loo, etc. The Olympia rows are so narrow, that these were quite disruptive and one guy grunted his disapproval at the people going past him while the guys behind complained about the disturbance.

The bar was closed, so I don't see why they don't close the smoking area during the performance.

Anyone who says "no one has ever complained about that before" (that comment always irritates me) I always give the same reply. You can never say that to anyone else because I am now complaining.

I think the Olympia is a kip. It needs new seating badly

Brendan mentioned the draught and cold from the door opening to the Smoking area. Unless the seating in the Smoking area has faults, I think you have misread the OP,

Maybe very few people in Ireland complain.

According to today's[broken link removed]

Oh yeah, I sat near enough the smoking area there last year and it was the same deal, people going in and out and draughts. I didnt complain though, I just made a mental note not to sit in that area anymore. I honestly dont know why they leave the smoking area open during a performance.

Excellent. So I am not the only one to feel draughts.

But I am the one in 11,000 who complains.

Brendan

I will be sure to complain next time Brendan and if anyone tells me "youre the first to complain" Ill whip out a print out of this thread and wave it at him.