Versions of Java - can i remove

doogo

I have 6 Java update environment exes in my 'Add or Remove Programs' file list - taking up 700m of space- can i remove some of them or will Java fall over then?

... as you can guess i am a total non-techie so answers in english will be much appreciated!!

Not sure what proograms you are on about

You only need "Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment 6" to run java programs.

You can remove previous versions.

There's a really good site called secunia software inspector.Run the inspection and it will detect all installed software and gives the location of old versions.A really good site.

Not a bad question - I too have multiple Sun Java entries in my Add/Remove Programs list and it's not clear if I can remove all but the latest. On the other hand I know that I can safely remove them all and then just download/install the latest runtime if necessary.

thks folks - i'll post back when i remove them all and everything falls over

Did you try the Secunia software Inspector? That will tell you which versions are out of date.

I have 6 Java update environment exes in my 'Add or Remove Programs' file list - taking up 700m of space- can i remove some of them or will Java fall over then?
Very few people actually use Java either as a stand-alone program or embeded in a web page. Maybe if you use ROS (Revenue Online Service) you'd need it.

This is not the same as 'JavaScript' in your browser.

Most people could probably remove all versions of Java and not miss it.